Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: September: get rid of one difficult thing per day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

September: get rid of one difficult thing per day

I have been working on decluttering and downsizing around the house and shed for months now. I tend to hit these roadblocks with certain hard to get rid of items. Last week I got rid of an old iPhone, and it felt really liberating.

So I wanted to try a challenge where I want to get rid of at least one difficult thing a day. One thing I resist getting rid of, that I have been holding onto.

For me, this has to be something HARD, something I am resisting. I will also be getting rid of easy to get rid of things as well of course, as I have a lot to move along.

But I want to try one difficult thing a day of high emotional value, if you will, and look at why it is hard and see if it gets easier.

Anyone wants to join in, I would be very happy!

Today I will get rid of two Stonehenge cups that I bought to go with a new china set I bought because the color match is not good, and I don't need them. It is hard to do this because I used to have the Stonehenge pattern and it was like going back to when my kids were little, so I bought two of them for a dollar at the thrift shop.

That’s a great challenge! I have been decluttering a lot for many years and have reached the point that I don’t have much that I want to get rid of. I keep a bag in my closet and when I find something I add it to the bag. A few years ago I threw away 90% of what was in my office closet. Then I put my file cabinet and other office stuff that I use in there.

What a great thread! I actually did this today. When I brought my new puppy home 10 years ago, the breeder gave me a small flannel square that had the scent of his litter mates and former home, to help with the transition. It's a sweet piece of flannel, about 2' square, with a gingham background and little puppies. I've kept it in a storage box and today finally decided to discard it. I never used it after his transition to adulthood and now that he is aging, looking at it only makes me want to cry.

Molly, wow, that's really a sweet story.

I actually burned my sons' christening gowns this year and felt a real shift in energy--I'd been saving them for their children's christenings, and none of them were christened, which just made me sad, so I released them to the universe.

I think releasing things that make us want to cry is a really good standard.

Wow Tybee, one difficult thing a day sounds really challenging. Good luck!

Today I let go of an old laptop I was trying to resurrect and really liked for its size and looks. Could not get it to work and did not want to put more money into it. It felt really good to recycle that along with a keyboard for my old iPhone and an old mouse. The computer was the hard one.

But liberating to deal with some of this electronic clutter.

on more old computer down

Good job Tybee!

Thanks, Terry, I'd love to get down to two computers total for my work and have them both functioning correctly

I have a desktop and a small tablet and can work on either of them. My husband on the other hand has 3 laptops.

Thread Information