Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong

When I Google “Sacramento police murder “I have to wade through all of the top stories about Tara O’Sullivan, a police officer, who was recently shot and killed while on duty.

Googling around, I found a story about Steven Clark. It’s Not related to the topic of this thread. Has nothing to do with protests. I don’t understand why Rob is trying to conflate this police officer involved shooting with protestors. But then, it is Rob so we can expect illogic in his quest to constantly pound his hobby horse.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Of the protests that have been going on in the USA over the past, say, 10 years, how many have had cold-blooded murders of protestors by the police?
    Deployment of paltry factuality will gain scant traction with a mind that knows the truth of America.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Of the protests that have been going on in the USA over the past, say, 10 years, how many have had cold-blooded murders of protestors by the police?
    Bae...off the top of my head I can't think of a single one. I grant you that. But the protests in America have not reached the level of violence in Hong Kong of late. If the Phoenix PD can threaten to kill over a .99 attic doll recently.....how do you think they'd respond to actual protestor violence as has went down in Hong Kong? Do you honestly believe they would not murder? Wow is all I can say. Truly I don't live in the same America you do. Rob

Drat autocorrect, that should be plastic doll above.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Truly I don't live in the same America you do. Rob
    You live in a fascinating place.

One in which you can make amazing claims, supported only by fears. Where you can take a single event from a different context, and use it to draw broadsweeping conclusions about another context.

So, of all the riots and protests in the USA over the past 10 years or so, some of which have been quite violent, not a single case of cold-blooded murders of protestors by police. And yet, next time, it'll happen for sure, you claim.

Fascinating. I'll ask Norm Stamper about that next time I have dinner with him.

This show of illogic would be like me making this logical progression:

Iris’s hobby horse: Trees are The Enemy

Fact: Forest fires in recent years have killed and maimed hundreds of people and animals, and destroyed property

Fact: trees are the primary players in these events

Fact: no forest fires take place in Hong Kong

Conclusion: The Enemy, trees, are malevolent in America where human life is not respected.

I've thought this over and my response to the previous posters? It's great that you have so much faith in the system and in the United States. I'm glad that someone does....I'm not equal to such. Part of it probably is that I have had experiences that caused me to comparison shop various citizenships. I'm guessing the previous posters have not done this? I can very much see that I process events in America and in the world in a different way than those posting directly above this post. This does not make you wrong per se nor your take(s) invalid. That said, neither does this make my take(s) wrong or invalid. Truly I live in a different America than some posters here, though geographically and legally this is not so. In reality on a plane beyond this, it remains very much true. It is amazing to me that I can be at a neighbor's house with SO and watching the news regarding Hong Kong and everyone in the room notices that the police in Hong Kong are not as bad as in the US. I suspect part of it is socioeconomics beyond life experiences. Rob

Sorry I didn't make paragraphs above...typing quickly during a guest speaker speech at an event. And if I go back on my phone and try to edit, I will lose the post. Don't ask me why, for some reason my phone does this. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    It is amazing to me that I can be at a neighbor's house with SO and watching the news regarding Hong Kong and everyone in the room notices that the police in Hong Kong are not as bad as in the US. I suspect part of it is socioeconomics beyond life experiences. Rob
    Or collective obsessional behavior, it feeds on itself.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    You're being selective in your question Bae. If you don't specify police and remove the time constraint there are examples like Kent State.

Thread Information