Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I've thought this over and my response to the previous posters? It's great that you have so much faith in the system and in the United States. I'm glad that someone does....I'm not equal to such. Part of it probably is that I have had experiences that caused me to comparison shop various citizenships. I'm guessing the previous posters have not done this? I can very much see that I process events in America and in the world in a different way than those posting directly above this post. This does not make you wrong per se nor your take(s) invalid. That said, neither does this make my take(s) wrong or invalid. Truly I live in a different America than some posters here, though geographically and legally this is not so. In reality on a plane beyond this, it remains very much true. It is amazing to me that I can be at a neighbor's house with SO and watching the news regarding Hong Kong and everyone in the room notices that the police in Hong Kong are not as bad as in the US. I suspect part of it is socioeconomics beyond life experiences. Rob
    Next time invite this guy.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Getting back to my original post, I think it will be interesting to see what transpires in Hong Kong now - if the protests continue and the protestors press for their other four demands to be met. Or not. Rob

Yes our country has it’s problems as all do. I am grateful that I was born here. My DIL is only alive because she immigrated here. Poland lacks the ability to perform her lifesaving surgery. People are literally dying trying to get here. I don’t bury my head in the sand about real issues. Still very grateful to be a American.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    You're being selective in your question Bae. If you don't specify police and remove the time constraint there are examples like Kent State.
    Good point. I'd forgotten about Kent State. Rob

Good point. I'd forgotten about Kent State. Rob
    I don't think that's a good point at all. You complain about police murdering people during protests and the best you can do is come up with a 50 year old example of National Guard troops in a riot where arson and assault by brick were active components of the event. As tragic as that was, it does not reinforce or justify your misguided beliefs.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    You're being selective in your question Bae. If you don't specify police and remove the time constraint there are examples like Kent State.
    Yes. All of America, except Rob with his extensive comparison-shopping, knows about Kent State.

When did Kent State happen exactly? And which police units were involved? Has that happened again since? How often?

Does the example of Kent State support Rob's claim that police in the USA would engage in "cold-blooded murder" of protesters?

Maybe we should reach back to the Bonus Army for a current example too....

I'm guessing the previous posters have not done this?
    And yet you have read posts of mine where I have discussed doing so, and some of my possible plans... Even responded to them.

I just read online that the protests in Hong Kong will be continuing as protestors press to get their other four demands met. My kind of people! I have a lot of respect for everyday Hong Kong people at this point. I just wish there was something feasible and practical I could do to show solidarity with the protestors. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Hong Kong was given a raw deal, in my generally uninformed opinion. Why weren't they allowed to maintain their ties with the UK? I suppose I should look it up.

The American flags they're waving? They're thinking of the old US of A, when we were a beacon of, and stood up for, freedom.
    Something I've discovered is that when Portugal signed over Macau - a former colony/possession of theirs - Portugal offered Portugese citizenship/Portugese passports to all citizens of Macau. Britian did not do this for Hong Kong, and also attempted to.pressure Portugal not to offer citizenship to the people of Macau. I'm seeing Britian less favorably since learning this. And I agree, Jane.....Hong Kong and it's people did get a raw deal. Rob

[QUOTE=gimmethesimplelife;334016]Something I've discovered is that when Portugal signed over Macau - a former colony/possession of theirs - Portugal offered Portugese citizenship/Portugese passports to all citizens of Macau. Britian did not do this for Hong Kong, and also attempted to.pressure Portugal not to offer citizenship to the people of Macau. I'm seeing Britian less favorably since learning this. And I agree, Jane.....Hong Kong and it's people did get a raw deal. Rob

PS.....came back to add that I could not agree more with your last sentence. Rob

Thread Information