Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Gonna hafta find somethin' to do in this town...

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,841
    I lived near where you are for 4 years, lots to do, just travel east a bit and you will find many like minded folks.

    And go to the minor league ball games in the summer, lots of fun!

  2. #12
    Senior Member Tradd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Suburban Midwest
    Posts
    3,287
    You like outdoor stuff. Go to Starved Rock State Park in Ottawa. Canyon! Waterfall! Yes, in IL.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    155
    A person can become very active in a smaller city...whatever you volunteer for is much appreciated. It doesn't take so long to drive across town for activities. A college town is bound to have lots of theater and the arts. And you can really feel a part of the community - if you want to.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I lived near where you are for 4 years, lots to do, just travel east a bit and you will find many like minded folks.

    And go to the minor league ball games in the summer, lots of fun!
    Good advice!

  5. #15
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    You like outdoor stuff. Go to Starved Rock State Park in Ottawa. Canyon! Waterfall! Yes, in IL.
    I have heard good things about this place!

  6. #16
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,815
    Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    A person can become very active in a smaller city...whatever you volunteer for is much appreciated. It doesn't take so long to drive across town for activities. A college town is bound to have lots of theater and the arts. And you can really feel a part of the community - if you want to.
    All good points, and many are reasons I traded in the big city for a small, college town.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Price County, WI
    Posts
    1,022
    Another idea: get involved to destigmatize dementia in your town. Is there a Dementia Café ongoing?

    The time commitment would be about 90 minutes per month of socializing in the Dementia Cafe.

    Just be. - Dr. Bere Miesen

    http://alzheimers.net/3-30-16-rise-of-the-dementia-cafe

    In the comments on the linked article is a directory of Memory Cafes, where you could look up your state, and perhaps your own town (if there is a café ongoing).

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,841
    Interesting idea, dado potato. My mom has dementia and this would be very difficult, getting her there-- for many, getting out of the house or facility is so complex, and she would find it frightening. But she is just one person with dementia, and many people with dementia have no problem leaving the house.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Price County, WI
    Posts
    1,022
    Yes, Tybee, I believe that the Dementia Café participants may have access to specialized transportation or may have a caregiver living with them who are able to drive. And the socializing/café experience would not be for everyone, as you correctly point out.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •