Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonna hafta find somethin' to do in this town...

I lived near where you are for 4 years, lots to do, just travel east a bit and you will find many like minded folks.

And go to the minor league ball games in the summer, lots of fun!

You like outdoor stuff. Go to Starved Rock State Park in Ottawa. Canyon! Waterfall! Yes, in IL.

A person can become very active in a smaller city...whatever you volunteer for is much appreciated. It doesn't take so long to drive across town for activities. A college town is bound to have lots of theater and the arts. And you can really feel a part of the community - if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I lived near where you are for 4 years, lots to do, just travel east a bit and you will find many like minded folks.

And go to the minor league ball games in the summer, lots of fun!
    Good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    You like outdoor stuff. Go to Starved Rock State Park in Ottawa. Canyon! Waterfall! Yes, in IL.
    I have heard good things about this place!

Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    A person can become very active in a smaller city...whatever you volunteer for is much appreciated. It doesn't take so long to drive across town for activities. A college town is bound to have lots of theater and the arts. And you can really feel a part of the community - if you want to.
    All good points, and many are reasons I traded in the big city for a small, college town.

Another idea: get involved to destigmatize dementia in your town. Is there a Dementia Café ongoing?

The time commitment would be about 90 minutes per month of socializing in the Dementia Cafe.

Just be. - Dr. Bere Miesen

http://alzheimers.net/3-30-16-rise-of-the-dementia-cafe

In the comments on the linked article is a directory of Memory Cafes, where you could look up your state, and perhaps your own town (if there is a café ongoing).

Interesting idea, dado potato. My mom has dementia and this would be very difficult, getting her there-- for many, getting out of the house or facility is so complex, and she would find it frightening. But she is just one person with dementia, and many people with dementia have no problem leaving the house.

Yes, Tybee, I believe that the Dementia Café participants may have access to specialized transportation or may have a caregiver living with them who are able to drive. And the socializing/café experience would not be for everyone, as you correctly point out.

Thread Information