Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Steps

NewGig, can you give me more information on the mini-split? I've actually never heard of one. Our primary heat source is wood (wood stove) but we rely fairly consistently on electric baseboard heat in each room for when we're lazy, or when we want to warm up the house in the morning before we start a fire. But that electric heat is SO expensive!!! The mini-split sounds like a great alternative.

We also have propane, which heats our Rinnai water heater.

Can you give me a range of how much the mini-split is, or might be for a 700 sq. ft. house?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

And what is the heat source for the mini-split, if not propane? Or do you just save on propane?

Cathering, I PMed you. Tybee, it's a heat pump. It extracts heat from the outside air, up to when it's -10 outside. Miraculous as it seems? It works!

Here's a link to an explanation:
    https://www.servicechampions.net/blo...ni-split-work/

I had a heat pump in South Carolina, and my parents' house in Virginia has one. I am surprised they work as far north as you are!

We had one in FL, many years ago. Apparently, they are much improved!

Here is an interesting link to a vermont site about the Mitsubishi mini split concerning just what I was asking about with the cold climate:
    https://www.vtenergy.com/heatpump.php

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Here is an interesting link to a vermont site about the Mitsubishi mini split concerning just what I was asking about with the cold climate:
    https://www.vtenergy.com/heatpump.php
    Thanks for sharing! That company is "just down the road a piece" from me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have a minisplit on our "porch" which is actually a 3 season room. Since this was added on, there was no easy way to tie it into our existing oil heat. We went a year with no heat out there and just not using it in the winter before getting one, but we really use it most for air conditioning and not heating. With the door open to the rest of our house, it cools the entire downstairs on hot days.

Heat pumps are the way of the future. We had one and loved it for both heat and cooling but needed the fireplace when the temp went too low. This sounds like an significant improvement.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I remember the trend of heat pumps here in the lower Midwest. They did not fare well. Yes it was 30 years ago. But I fear if someone suggested one to me today I would pass.

Thread Information