Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next Steps

We had a heat pump in our first home, a townhouse, in the late 70's. Having only two sides of the house exposed to the elements may have made a difference because ours did a great job.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

For whatever it’s worth, I mostly walk around these days barefoot. Also, my arm and back don’t hurt, and that’s worth quite a bit to me!

Heat pumps that have exchange coils going down into the ground are extremely efficient because ground temperature below frost line is very stable and always above zero. They're also the most expensive by far, installing one costs about as much as digging a well. Heat pumps that have a field-grid system less efficient, and air-to-air exchangers the least efficient but still more efficient than standard electric, as long as temps are above freezing. They all do a pretty good job of cooling. I do love two things about minisplits: the all in one functionality of a relatively small unit positioned out of the way, and the ultimate zone control.

Ya, this was not cheap! Cost what our porch addition/back roof did. We paid for it with an equity loan, and are paying the loan off as fast as we can!

Thread Information