Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainbows

Rainbows

Do you all sometimes see a rainbow and feel something about it?

I was on the south shore of Lake Superior recently. The clouds were dark, nearly black, and the "surf" was up. Way out across the big water, I saw a rainbow.

For a moment the rainbow was whole, and then all I could see was the left half.

You?

The day my daughter-in-law married my son we were driving to their wedding in the town she had grown up in. Her mother died of cancer several years ago. On the way into town, there as a beautiful rainbow.

Coincidentally, my DH and I were driving through her hometown last year on the way home from my aunt's funeral, and again, we saw a rainbow. Those are the only two times over the past few years I've been to her town.

I took pictures. The top one was on the weekend of the wedding (if you look carefully you can see the start of a double rainbow), and the second was last year.

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Nice thread!
    I have always loved rainbows and see them as displays of magic and promise of good. Then I read the scientific explanation and decided I liked my idea much better. Your two photos are lovely with special meaning, Cath.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

@catherine

Amazing pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post

I was on the south shore of Lake Superior recently. The clouds were dark, nearly black, and the "surf" was up. Way out across the big water, I saw a rainbow.

For a moment the rainbow was whole, and then all I could see was the left half.

You?
    One of my most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, rainbow experiences was also on Lake Superior. In the 1970s DH and I lived in Duluth, very near the shore of Lake Superior on London Road. DH came in the apartment all excited wanting me to come outside and see the rainbow he had just seen. One end of it rose up from the horizon of London Road, it arched across the sky and the other end dipped down into the Lake. So pretty.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I had an occasion last year where I was going around a lake and I kept having wildlife cross in front of me: a rabbit, hawk, and beaver (and a deer?) and I kept having rainbows either over my head or next to me. It was eerie, about 1/2 an hour where I was seeing a rainbow to my right as I wound around the lake. Got the headwater, and the rainbow was to my left. Then I had small rainbow effects in the trees. Weird and wonderful, I'll never forget it!

[QUOTE=dado potato;333379]Do you all sometimes see a rainbow and feel something about it?

Always. It says in the Bible that God gave the bow as a promise to never again cover the earth with water. With all of the promises God gives in the Bible, this is one we can see. Every time I see a rainbow I think of God‘s promise and faithfulness.

[QUOTE=goldensmom;333423]
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post

Always. It says in the Bible that God gave the bow as a promise to never again cover the earth with water. With all of the promises God gives in the Bible, this is one we can see. Every time I see a rainbow I think of God‘s promise and faithfulness.
    We just saw one last week and I thought of this and we looked it up--it's in Genesis!

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    I had an occasion last year where I was going around a lake and I kept having wildlife cross in front of me: a rabbit, hawk, and beaver (and a deer?) and I kept having rainbows either over my head or next to me. It was eerie, about 1/2 an hour where I was seeing a rainbow to my right as I wound around the lake. Got the headwater, and the rainbow was to my left. Then I had small rainbow effects in the trees. Weird and wonderful, I'll never forget it!
    That sounds so beautiful...and otherworldly. Great experience for you.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

It was both otherworldly and beautiful. Very eerie, in a good way!

Thread Information