Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September Frugals!

September Frugals!

We are going on vacation soon, and I redeemed $900. worth of credit card reward points as statement credits to help pay for it. My sister is planning to cut her cable and signed up for Netflix. She added us as users, so it's free to us.

I will be getting free flower transplants for my yard thus weekend.

We have had an interesting 3 months:
    1. This week we found out our insurance agent retired and the new agent reviewed our policies with husband. He got us at least $300-$500 off our yearly car policy. May get more after further work.
    2. Cancelled all satellite service. Now we do Amazon Fire and steam one month at a time of various services. Savings over $900 a year.
    3. 3 months ago changed exercise programs. Got health insurance sponsored program for $25 a month less for each of us or $600 yearly savings. I go twice as much since I enjoy the instructors.

Wow, Sweetana, I am impressed!

I cooked a gf lasagna last night and ended up with four extra dinners out of it! I froze them and we'll have one a week for a month. that's good because the ingredients were kind of expensive when I figured up what I bought special for it--
    4.50 ricotta
    4 mozzarella (but that was free as DH brought it home from his family reunion)
    3 gf lasagna noodles
    3.5 parmesan
    6 Newman spagetti sauce (it is no bake lasagna so takes a lot), supplemented with my own tomato sauce to get it out of freezer
    3- portobello mushrooms

Goodness, that's 21 dollars on one lasagna. But we ended up with 5 dinners, so that's not so bad.

The dryer is broken and DS is researching ways to fix it. In the meantime I dragged out my old clothes drying racks and am using them.

Breakfast: peaches that are getting old on the counter.

lunch: a protein bar and a handful of mixed nuts.

Dinner was salmon burgers-the last 2 aging ones left in the freezer. Small chibata buns out of the freezer. And Mac Salad-used 8 aging hard boiled eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Wow, Sweetana, I am impressed!

I cooked a gf lasagna last night and ended up with four extra dinners out of it! I froze them and we'll have one a week for a month. that's good because the ingredients were kind of expensive when I figured up what I bought special for it--
    4.50 ricotta
    4 mozzarella (but that was free as DH brought it home from his family reunion)
    3 gf lasagna noodles
    3.5 parmesan
    6 Newman spagetti sauce (it is no bake lasagna so takes a lot), supplemented with my own tomato sauce to get it out of freezer
    3- portobello mushrooms

Goodness, that's 21 dollars on one lasagna. But we ended up with 5 dinners, so that's not so bad.
    Lasagna is expensive! All that cheese! Back in our frugal days, I would make it only once a year.

Once at work we had a potluck and one of my employees, one of the lowest paid, said she would bring an entire pan if it.
    I felt bad about that since that was something I wouldn't have contributed.

But now I made two pans of it at a time and freeze it in squares.

This was one big pan, but there are only two of us, of course. I made two of them at the family reunion and they were all gone by the next day, but that was 9 people, and the two marathon runners eat like there is no tomorrow.

Frugality of the day-- used old blue green paint from another project and got rid of old paint can, for barn door I built. Used two garage sale hinges my husband picked up and painted them black. So paint for project was free, when originally I was going to buy a small can of green paint. Am returning latch I bought and will make my own more primitive latch, which will look better anyway.

I talked my bank into raising the interest rate they are paying me.

Continuing to cook out of the garden, the fridge and the freezer.

Last week I got my first picking of tomatoes. Barely enough for my 1st batch of salsa. 11 pints-8 are canned for winter use!

11 quarts of my Ratatouille in the freezer! I picked my first Heirloom tomatoes Monday. OMG!

So happy my garden is finally producing!!!!

Thread Information