Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heath Insurance Premiums: Employer paying $14,561, Employee paying $6,015

Heath Insurance Premiums: Employer paying $14,561, Employee paying $6,015

Based on a survey of employers by the Kaiser Family Foundation,
    All firms
    Family health insurance coverage in the USA now costs
    on the average $20,576 per year, of which $14,561 is paid by the employer, and $6,015 is paid by the individual employee.

153 million Americans depend on employer-sponsored health insurance coverage. Over the past decade deductibles have increased by 162%

Be well.

http://www.kff.org

What is your intent in posting this? Do you have an opinion on this matter?

I am glad to be asked for my opinion.

The facts indicate that employees and employers are paying a lot for health insurance premiums (and also deductibles in the case of the insured).

Over the past 20 years, the cost of health insurance linked to employment in in the USA has increased significantly. In my opinion it is not sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I am glad to be asked for my opinion.

The facts indicate that employees and employers are paying a lot for health insurance premiums (and also deductibles in the case of the insured).

Over the past 20 years, the cost of health insurance linked to employment in in the USA has increased significantly. In my opinion it is not sustainable.
    Which makes the case for unlinking healthcare from employment. Free employers from the bondage of having to factor its cost into wages. Enable them to hire more workers as a result. Unlock the employees' golden handcuffs, so they can become entrepreneurs if they care to.

Dump the layers of middlemen in the private insurance sector.

Take away the profit motive.

Increase cost transparency.

Focus on wellness instead of illness.

Single payer healthcare, baby.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Exactly Catherine. Care not paperwork should be getting all these healthcare dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Which makes the case for unlinking healthcare from employment. Free employers from the bondage of having to factor its cost into wages. Enable them to hire more workers as a result. Unlock the employees' golden handcuffs, so they can become entrepreneurs if they care to.

Dump the layers of middlemen in the private insurance sector.

Take away the profit motive.

Increase cost transparency.

Focus on wellness instead of illness.

Thank you!

Dado, those numbers are very close to our situation, think our portion is about 7000, or 18% of dh salary.

Agreed, Catherine.

Health care worked just fine when it was non-profit, just like high marginal tax rates worked just fine for the citizenry and the economy back in the fifties (and well beyond).

Only one candidate who is entirely serious about that it seems. Go Bernie go.

Still need to get anything through congress though. And maybe the rest are just more honest about how hopeless they see the prospects of this ever happening, with congress, but more so with corporate power.

However there is the problem that if that can't be done because of corporate power, what the heck can? I can see having other priorities, choosing one's battles (if we really had such a candidate, not sure we do). But one is going to be fighting entrenched powers with some of the priorities regardless, or else be a lame nobody doing nothing worthwhile in office. But one such battle has the potential to leave one pretty wounded (both Obama and Bill Clinton paid for trying to reform healthcare and we didn't even get much good out of it. If they had done single payer, we might have single payer, but no guarantee they still might not have paid a political price, I don't know). p.s. I've been the middle man.
    Trees don't grow on money

Why must a government plan be compulsory? Why not allow people to pay for care under other arrangements?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Why must a government plan be compulsory? Why not allow people to pay for care under other arrangements?
    You WILL be part of the collective, dammit! You WILL submit to our authority.

Thread Information