Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Suicide Rates Up in Rural America

On the topic of food and mental illness, I have always wondered if the horrific diets of many might be a contributing factor. There are so many people who live on a diet of little else than highly processed food. Another interesting thing re suicide I have read is that the rates are highest in high altitude, western states. I too believe that anti-depressants may be a factor in some cases. After all, suicidal thoughts are a warning on many of these kinds of drugs. I was prescribed SSRIs when I was in my 40s for what turned out to be a drug reaction to steroids. I guess no one knew at that time knew that steroid drugs could cause extreme panic disorder. I have never felt so weird and discombobulated as when I took those meds and trying to wean off of them was a nightmare.

On the subject of SSRIs and suicide, I have to say that many of us who knew the college professor I spoke of in an earlier post suspect that initiation of a few medications including SSRIs shortly before his death could have been responsible for his suicide. I would not rule it out.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    On the topic of food and mental illness, I have always wondered if the horrific diets of many might be a contributing factor. There are so many people who live on a diet of little else than highly processed food. Another interesting thing re suicide I have read is that the rates are highest in high altitude, western states. I too believe that anti-depressants may be a factor in some cases. After all, suicidal thoughts are a warning on many of these kinds of drugs. I was prescribed SSRIs when I was in my 40s for what turned out to be a drug reaction to steroids. I guess no one knew at that time knew that steroid drugs could cause extreme panic disorder. I have never felt so weird and discombobulated as when I took those meds and trying to wean off of them was a nightmare.
    Diet most likely plays a part, for a variety of reasons. Vegans are particularly susceptible, probably because of numerous deficiencies. Food sensitivities may play a part.

I didn't have any trouble coming off SSRIs, but they made me feel like a zombie. Now if I could just do without aspirin...

[QUOTE=JaneV2.0;334032]Diet most likely plays a part, for a variety of reasons. Vegans are particularly susceptible, probably because of numerous deficiencies. Food sensitivities may play a part./QUOTE]

There's no doubt in my mind that emotions and diet are linked, but I'm not sure we know the perfect diet. One thing I'll say for Pollen is that he has been popular enough to probably have nudged the general public away from fast foods and overly processed foods. Being pretty much a vegan I will say that it's not something to go into lightly without some study on nutrition. I think that vegans are commonly at fault nutritionally. In the case of a study though, one might say that people who are more prone to depression become vegans, in which case it's not the diet.

However, I can say that I occasionally get bummed out smelling chicken frying and knowing it's off limits.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Pollan was pretty dismissive and deprecating, too.

I stand by my assertion where people with families and (particularly) manual labor or 8 hours on your feet-type jobs are concerned.
    They prioritized having kids they could not afford instead of growing, buying, preparing fresh foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    They prioritized having kids they could not afford instead of growing, buying, preparing fresh foods.
    I had kids I couldn't afford and raised them on Kraft Mac and cheese and Little Debbie snack cakes and they seem to have done just fine. Being able to feed your family organic, unprocessed food all the time is the Holy Grail, but it is difficult to achieve in this culture, and prioritizing a loving family over a perfect diet is a reasonable choice.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    If people only had kids when they could "afford" them the human species would have gone extinct a long time ago. There were times when my brothers and I were little the only thing in the house to eat was a jar of peanut butter.

People do all sorts of things they can't afford, such as taking out huge student loans they then shift onto taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    ... trying to wean off of them was a nightmare.
    Probably designed that way.

Diet most likely plays a part, for a variety of reasons. Vegans are particularly susceptible, probably because of numerous deficiencies. Food sensitivities may play a part.
    Evidence?

Now if I could just do without aspirin...
    What do you take aspirin for?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I had kids I couldn't afford and raised them on Kraft Mac and cheese and Little Debbie snack cakes and they seem to have done just fine.
    Good point, my buddy Brian was raised in poverty by a single mom. He was one of 7 kids his mom had by at least 5 different men. These men often beat up Brian, his mom, and his siblings. These men were also literally all raging alcoholics. But hey, Brian turned out fine. He graduated from high school, college, and is now a professional photographer.

I guess that being raised in poverty by a single parent who cannot afford kids and having a string of violent alcoholic men in-and-out of their lives beating them up did not factor in. Brian is fine!

Now, for the other six kids... they are all FUBARed.

My point here is that people say things like this: "My dad whupped my butt all the time when I was kid. I turned out fine."

But...

1. Could they be the exception to the rule?
    2. Imagine how Brian and his siblings would have been if they were raised in a stable, loving, peaceful family where both parents had good jobs.

Thread Information