Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharing community = communists??

Sharing community = communists??

So I was chatting with my mother and mentioned that several neighbors and I share a lawn mower (we all have small grass areas). And that we all look after each other’s cats and dogs if someone is away, even for a whole day...

Her angry reaction was, “What a bunch of communists!!”

Does participating in a sharing community define one as a communist?

Fox news and the like has permanently rotted some people's brains it seems.

I suppose when you have to defend the indefensible (especially with Trump) it leads to all kinds of strange mental contortions.
    Trees don't grow on money

Sounds pretty wacky to me.

Does your mom have a library card?

How sad that she has never experienced this mutual support with neighbours. It is one of life's joys.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

If you grew up in the 60s post-McCarthy era you might still carry irrational fear of anything that suggests "pinko" attitudes and behaviors... even sharing with neighbors. Very sad.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Not to be an alarmist or anything but how old is your mom? My mom has dementia, and one of the onset symptoms was a great suspicion of people, mistrust and paranoia.
    It's just something to think about.

My literal, non-snarky answer to your question is sure, that is one of the characteristics of a communist society. But until the state owns the means of production, you are in the clear for pinkness.As it is, you all are a collective.

But my real answer is: so what? Why does it matter to you about the label put on this shared activity? This sounds more like mother -daughter acrimony than anything else.

I think it would be neat if we could share gardening equipment in our neighborhoods. We are looking at lawn trimmers right now and wondering why they are so expensive. I think the shared care and feeding of such objects might be problematic though without the right mix of personalities.

Without more information, it does seem a little odd, if not bordering on paranoia.

I have lived places where the old saying, good fences make good neighbors, was pretty much the situation. Given the right neighbors and it is working with no disagreements, I think "community" could be misinterpreted as something else.

Thread Information