Thread: Delicata Squash ... 4.5 inches of delight

Unhappy Delicata Squash ... 4.5 inches of delight

I bought this delicata squash at the farmers' market this afternoon. There was only one there!

I like them for the small size ( for 1 or 2 diners) and the edible soft skin that is the basis for the name, "delicata". After the tips were sliced off it is 4.5 inches long, and it weighs 12.5 oz. I paid $1.75 to the grower, 14 cents per ounce, including the seeds which I do not eat. And as free benefit, I got to joke with the grower about there only being one delicata in a tub full of acorn squash... and he got to complain to me that this year had not been such a good year for delicata.

000_0346 (2).jpg

Yummy. I love those. How will you prepare it?

Tonight it is going into the oven in a little loaf pan. When it's done I will cut it longitudinally in half and spread the insides with ghee, and sprinkle a little salt on each half. It will be a side for baked cod.

Sometimes I have sliced a delicata into rounds and roasted them on a cookie sheet.

A second side was cherry Jell-o gelled around some cherry pie filling. And there also was a separate tossed salad with French dressing.

It isn't much to look at, but the flavors were extremely pleasing together.

000_0347 (2).jpg

Looks really good to me. I find that squash like Hubbard, Ghost and Delicata double as both the veggie and the starch for the meal. I love squash soup made with these varieties as well. The flavour of most other varieties seem bland in comparison.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Thread Information