Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying art

My art work is a joy to me. I don't have a lot, but I truly love it. Here is my "catalogue":

a) Stephen Huneck: Famed Vermont artist and creator of the Dog Chapel. I do have prints and also signed giclees. I would say I have a collection of his work, but many are inexpensive prints. However, when I turned 65, I bought myself a signed lithograph:

she-sings-a-lovely-song-blk.jpg

b) Warren Kimble: I have a beautiful signed print of his--I bought it at his studio in Brandon, VT. Here's a picture of it (my frame is much nicer): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warren-Kimb...-/223313128165

c) Macy Moulton: Another Vermont artist: a block printer. Her art has such movement to it, I love it. I have 3 of her works, which I bought in an artist cooperative shop in Waitsfield, VT.

macy_moulton.jpg

d) My brother's seascape: He never charged me for it, but it goes wherever I go.

IMG_0395.jpg

I'm very attached to my art. As you can see, I prefer the primitive, folk art. Also, that my heart is in Vermont. My biggest frustration is that by downsizing, I don't have enough walls to hang it all! But I'll find a way.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Buy art from living artists. Dead ones don’t need the money.

as a potter and teacher, I see a gradient from “crafts” to art. Practical, useful items can also be art. I measure my coffee out every morning with a hand carved wooden scoop.

We have several original paintings in our small house and I have never regretted the purchases. We also have some lovely pottery and other artisan made items that I think play a large role in making our home a special place.
    Those prices sound extremely reasonable and I say go for it!

I have about 8 limited reproductions from a couple of my favorite wildlife artists. The bigger expense for me was having them framed nicely. It was all pretty expensive, but I feel it was a good investment and made me really happy to look at the images. Someone else will enjoy them when I'm gone. What is sort of fortunate is that I discovered that some of the artists I really love, started letting their images be made into puzzles. So now I'm only spending a tiny fraction of what a limited reproduction would cost. No, it has no real value, but it does to me.
    I think artwork is a wonderful way to enjoy your home even more.

Catherine: I love your collection. Your brother's painting is my favorite.

my philosophy of art uh ... I got most of my art at the thrifts (it's getting lucky, most times you won't, pickings slim) I also bought a photo from an artist I saw locally at an art fair as well. might again, maybe even same artist, no hurry, no urgency, no strong need, but if I happened to be at such a thing. My bf likes seeing art so we go to art gallery openings sometimes, but never buy, could happen.

My theme: landscape photography, and the theme is California. Of all my memories of vacations etc., if it feels of the state. But if I decided to do non-landscapes then it would be different.
    Trees don't grow on money

Catherine: I love your collection. Your brother's painting is my favorite.
    oh yea like the seascape
    Trees don't grow on money

#1. Do NOT feel guilty about buying art pieces you love!

#2. See #1.

The art in our home: I made it (cross stitch), a family member made it (oil painting and chalk painting made by 2 nieces, wood burning art by an Uncle, dried flower art by a cousin), I bought it directly from the artist (paintings) and there are a few prints I love (1 van Gogh and 1 Monet) and have framed. We have 2 small framed "posters" in our bedroom that we bought when we saw Phantom of the Opera in LA back in 1992. We have quite a few wood pieces made by family as well.

In the early 90s, I was walking around the art district in Scottsdale, taking a break on a business trip. I was in love with a watercolor of an iris field. The "realness" was amazing for watercolor. The coloring was all wrong for our home then. The employee said "When you're looking at art, you're not looking at the room and vice versa". Although I did not buy the painting (beyond my budget by a good distance), I have never forgotten what she said. No matchy matchy here!

Thanks everyone! Your comments have made me see art in a new way. And I particularly like the comment, "If it speaks to you and evokes pleasure, joy, emotion, whatever, that is not really an impractical item. It has a purpose, bringing you happiness, peace, etc." If I consider art as having a purpose, then it really is something of use. I can see from all your comments that your art work brings joy and happiness, something that I think we could all use more of in our lives.

So not only will I buy the painting without guilt, I will also buy another item I've had my eye on. I discovered it in a gift shop at a national park. It's hand crafted by a Utah artist whose company is called "Exotic Sands". It's movable sand art. You flip the frame and the colored sand runs through a solution of oils creating a new landscape (or seascape) each time. It is mesmerizing. It's a wonderful meditation tool and it brought a sense of calm to me every time I gazed at it. I didn't want to spend the $80.00, but now I believe it is worth it. Ordering now.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    Thanks everyone! Your comments have made me see art in a new way. And I particularly like the comment, "If it speaks to you and evokes pleasure, joy, emotion, whatever, that is not really an impractical item. It has a purpose, bringing you happiness, peace, etc." If I consider art as having a purpose, then it really is something of use. I can see from all your comments that your art work brings joy and happiness, something that I think we could all use more of in our lives.

So not only will I buy the painting without guilt, I will also buy another item I've had my eye on. I discovered it in a gift shop at a national park. It's hand crafted by a Utah artist whose company is called "Exotic Sands". It's movable sand art. You flip the frame and the colored sand runs through a solution of oils creating a new landscape (or seascape) each time. It is mesmerizing. It's a wonderful meditation tool and it brought a sense of calm to me every time I gazed at it. I didn't want to spend the $80.00, but now I believe it is worth it. Ordering now.
    YEA! Enjoy your new art pieces!

Thread Information