Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Love

I remember when my aunt and uncle got divorced. They seemed so perfect as a couple--after they were divorced and they settled in to their new lives, I realized how different they really were and understood why they couldn't carry on.

He met another woman and married her. He was helping me clear out some of my mother's stuff in his outbuilding, and in that casual environment, he spoke candidly to me. At the time I was 27, and he was probably around 60. He told me that after he met J___ he hadn't realized he could really find true love again, but he had.

Love is love, UL. It has no inclusion criteria.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have fallen in love 4 times. My FIL met his second wife at 62 and they were happily together for 22 years. You can fall in love at any age.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have fallen in love 4 times. My FIL met his second wife at 62 and they were happily together for 22 years. You can fall in love at any age.
    Yeah, love is the easy part.

Getting along with them is the challenge!

probably depends on one's personality as much as one's age (and one should accept their basic personality). But probably is more likely in youth just because everything is more intense then.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yeah, love is the easy part.

Getting along with them is the challenge!
    haha! True. But ANM, the intensity of love can be felt full throttle at any age.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    ...the intensity of love can be felt full throttle at any age.
    Seems unimaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Seems unimaginable.
    It's a slightly different kind of love--like a patina on a fine piece of furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    It's a slightly different kind of love--like a patina on a fine piece of furniture.
    That’s a good way to describe that, I like it.

To UL’s point I definitely notice a lack of what I would call “hormonal generated” love, ha ha. Yet I have these crazy intense feelings of love for my fat wrinkly bulldog. Sometimes I just want to squeeze him and kiss him and lay my head close to him. Ok this may be TMI folks, but hey it is PHYSICAL!

Hormonally generated love being that which you feel maybe when cuddling or making out in bed, and an hour later when your eating dinner or doing some event or whatever, is nowhere on your mind. Yes physical intimacy is an important part of a relationship, but one doesn't spend all their time or even most of it as a couple in bed, and it strikes me as a very odd thing to call love, because it could not be more fleeting, it's of the moment, and only the moment.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I've never confused sex with love--sex is great fun, but love is altogether different, and more satisfying in the long run. Sex and infatuation may be related.

John Ciardi's take on it: "Love is the sexual excitement of the young, the habituation of the middle aged, and the mutual dependence of the old." That's from memory, and I used to think it was true, but I'm not nearly so cynical now.

Thread Information