Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reducing use of plastics?

When one thinks of all the pets and their waste, one realizes how big this volume of waste really is.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My little dogs are pad trained so I just flush their poop.

We don't use any bag for cat debris. It goes straight into our trash bin that also doesn't get lined with plastic. We occasionally clean it. We've never purchased garbage bags-it's a habit I have never understood.

Well, I guess I’m doomed and so is the environment. I have never lived any where that flushing a bag of dog poo would be acceptable. [Geez, they have launched a campaign for people to stop washing contact lenses down the drain!] It cannot go in the green waste recycle bin. No allowed to bury anything. I have neighbors with small dogs who leave it out “to dry” and only pick up once a week- meanwhile it’s a breeding ground for flies for the whole neighborhood. I called our sanitation department and asked about separate composting of animal waste. They laughed at me!

You don’t flush a bag of dog poo, you just flush the dog poo. You pick it up with a scoop or flushable paper product depending on the size of the dog.

Gard, so I assume you don’t throw food in your garbage? No I am not flushing plastic bags. The dogs are 5 lbs.

**flushing a compostable bag of dog poo was one of the acceptable disposals mentioned in the article referenced.

Bagged and into the garbage bin, that’s where “they” want it to go.
    i agree it’s not ideal, but I live in an urban area.

I pick up dog poop with toilet paper and flush. Never heard of bags that degrade.

There are poo bags made of a plant based starch. I wonder if the purpose of those bags is to pick up the dog waste when it's located in an exposed area (well traveled sidewalk or roadside) and then toss it to a place where it can break down, like the brush of nonresidential lots? It's a thought that didn't occur to me until i read this thread

When I clean the litter box I toss the cat poop in an out of the way location in our woods. I would never leave animal poop on someone else’s property!

(the goat and rabbit poo goes to the garden or stays in the field. Yay herbivores!)

Thread Information