Thread: Tshirt yarn

Tshirt yarn

IMG_20190915_091218_401.jpg20190915_090751.jpghere is the latest progress on my tshirt yarn process, I started labeling them by the original tshirt. If they come from the exact same shirt (like I got 6 shirts from the same high school sport) I am marking them as a batch. The next fair is in 3 weeks

OK, now I am curious. Do you cut the thin strips that roll into a yarn? What does one make with this yarn? Does it look like a Phentex yarn?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yes, you cut it circular and pull it into a thin yarn, it is thicker than worsted weight. I am working on meditation cushions I think, need to keep creating it. Typically rugs or large baskets would be the easiest

Thanks, Zoe, I have been thinking about this. Only issue I have found is how expensive they are at our goodwill, the shirts. I used to do this with blue jeans and make rugs. I like the width of your yarn and would like to try this.

Tybee, I have found that a large men's shirt makes between 25 and 35 yards of yarn. I don't spend more than a couple dollars on each shirt, and use discounts or go on 50% days. I know that in Denver the ARC stores are 50% every Saturday for many tags. The best deals seem to be for things like an event or a team, I got 6 from a dispensary that went out of business and 5 from a highschool sports team dated 5 years ago. I consider the environmental impact as a primary reason to do this, so comparing costs is not as important. I could get bulk yarn probably cheaper, but when you find good deals on tshirts then this can be affordable also.

I made rugs from Tshirt yarn for a while. If I can get the pic to load, I'll post one. 1st rug.jpg

I stopped making them, this way, because they can't stand being washed and the dirt gets ground into them. I loved the one above, it was in our bathroom for about 3 years.

I agree about men's tshirts. Cheapest way to get them is to ask the thrift shops if they sell unsold shirts in bulk for rags. My local SA sells them by the lb to the local car lots. . . .

That's very cool, newgig, looks like a Midwinter china pattern from the 70's (high compliment).

Glad you liked it. The rugs were half-hitched together, the reason they couldn't stand the laundry. What looks like holes between stitches is actually black t shirt yarn threaded into the holes to make it solid. The rugs were half hitched on a base of black tshirt yarn too.

Thread Information