Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a bazillion peaches!!

a bazillion peaches!!

I have a lovely peach tree that every year I have been here produces a bountiful crop. I now have hundreds of ripe peaches either already picked or ready to be picked. They are several weeks later than usual so the various neighbors and friends who usually take some are traveling and aren't around to collect their usual shares. I have a small freezer so can't freeze more than 9-10 bags. What would you do with all these ripe peaches?

Compost bin.

It took me many years of living with the garden production and vegetable Meister to understand that I can’t use what I can’t use. That doesn’t make me a bad person. When everything is composted it’s re-processed and goes back to the earth and it is 0K. It is all OK. The vegetables here do not run my life.

That said, we hardly get any peaches or apricot because the squirrels steal them. They are nasty thieving tree rats. Oh yes we have many fruit trees but we don’t get most of the produce.

I got really ambitious a few years ago and dehydrated a bunch of fresh peaches. I had access to a large food dehydrater, but it was still so much work I'm not sure I would do it again. I gave some away as gifts and people still ask if I will do it again. They were like candy.

Hundreds? Yeah I'm with Iris on this one. Compost what you can't use, unless there is a local food pantry that takes fresh food that accepts donations.

I made jam, canned peaches and dehydrated some but that was just one box of them. And it took me most of a day to do all of that.

A brewery in Fort Collins uses peaches to make beer... but I do not know how it is done.

I recall that last year I spent hours cutting up peaches for the freezer. This morning I will have one on my cereal with sliced almonds. I might post on the local FB gardening site but will be besieged if I do. Always amazed at the bounty of one tree.

Our local foodbank will take fresh produce. Call yours?

I would take them to local homeless shelters.

Give some to the senior centers for those there to enjoy.

Right now I am staring out the window at our voluptuously full peach tree at the new house in which the birds are enjoying their breakfast-I have invited people over to pick as much as they want, I have eaten them sliced in my oatmeal in the morning, I have made peach cobbler, peach salsa (a huge win), have cut up some for the freezer, taken them to the gallery for my customers to enjoy, have them in brown paper bags on the kitchen window sill to further ripen, and so on and on and on...I am not going to get into trying to can them as I just don't have the time or inclination this year.

A huge bounty and they are very good, but it's a LOT of peaches! And there are a lot of windfalls on the ground. And the squirrels leave the pits up on the kitchen porch like an offering.

Thread Information