Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 3 things that give your life meaning.

Yppej
    It's regressive, it's unfair, it's reverse Robin Hoodism.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It's regressive, it's unfair, it's reverse Robin Hoodism.
    Lots of things in this world fit those three (individually or in sum), so why does this particular issue with me bother you?

Yppej
    Because you are unrepentant. You brag about your international jet setting lifestyle. You insult people who dare to question your freeloading. You lack character.

Because you are unrepentant.
    Is this really true? Perhaps you are projecting something onto me. I regret every single day taking out so many student loans. Every day I go into my cubicle and do a job all day I really have no affinity for and I am only slightly above average at. I often think: "If I had not taken out those loans, maybe I could be doing something else, something I enjoy or derive meaning from."

But nope.

You brag about your jet setting lifestyle.
    I do? Bragging? I am not sure what you are referring to.

You insult people who dare to question your freeloading lifestyle.
    I will zing someone back if they zing me first. Can you really blame me? Turnabout is fair play.

You lack character.
    Please explain more.

Yppej
    A person with character pays for his mistakes instead of expecting those less fortunate than himself to do so.

A person with character pays for his mistakes instead of expecting those less fortunate than himself to do so.
    Are you less fortunate than me?

Yppej
    There are many taxpayers who never had the opportunity to go to college. They work two or three jobs trying to cover housing, food, and other basics while you fly around the world. The fact that you cannot see the unfairness in them paying your debts shows that you are a narcissist lacking in character.

Jeppy, here is something I want you to think about. Could it be that back in 2007 when the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program was created by congress and had strong bipartisan support that maybe these representatives thought something like this to themselves:

"Well, we really dropped the ball on a lot of these young college students. College and graduate school just aren't affordable, and part of that was because we failed them at the policy level. Maybe we should do something to make this right, to pay for our mistake as elected representatives of the people. Now, sure, some of these students went way overboard with their loans -- call it youthful indiscretions -- so we won't just forgive the loans outright. How about we make them do ten years of public service and make them pay monthly based on their income for those ten years? Yeah, that sounds like a good compromise!"

Then they passed the PSLF program into law.

Does that sounds as bad as you make it out to be?

There are many taxpayers who never had the opportunity to go to college.
    If someone in the US is intellectually capable of going to college then they can go. They can pay for it several ways -- some join the army or coast guard. Others do Americorps. Some work full time and go part time to college to pay as they go -- which can take a looooong time. Others take out loans. Some folks work low level jobs at colleges to get free tuition. Some employers, like UPS offer some tuition reimbursement.

They work two or three jobs trying to cover housing, food, and other basics while you fly around the world.
    If they are working three jobs just to cover their food, housing, and basics, then they are simply doing it wrong. Perhaps you are romanticizing the working poor. Remember, I come from the working poor, the wrong side of the tracks.

The fact that you cannot see the unfairness in them paying your debts shows that you are a narcissist lacking in character.
    Narcissist is a very strong label to apply to someone. Are you really sure it fits?

Yppej
    I could possibly support a loan forgiveness program for people living below the Federal poverty level only allowed to have minimal assets, as with other welfare programs - you can only have a car worth a few thousand dollars, no bank accounts over a minimal amount, etc.

Thread Information