Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 3 things that give your life meaning.

Jeppy: Here is something I want you to mull over.

You have called me "lacking in character" and "dishonest" and "dishonorable," a "moocher" and a few other things.

Why? Because I am in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program.

So my question to you is this: Is this how you assess everyone's character? On one particular issue while ignoring all the other attributes that make a person who they are?

I am many other things besides a participant in the PSLF program.

I am:
    -A rescue dog enthusiast
    -A vegetarian
    -A brother, a friend, an uncle
    -A son
    -A black belt in Ju Jitsu
    -A former activist for GLBTQ rights and marriage equality
    -A union member
    -A state university employee
    -An avid reader

And so on.

I have a college degree and a DD 214. Guess which one provided me the greatest value.
    considering veterans have higher homeless rates than the general population (of course this has many causes, they usually start out poorer and minority and that means life is hard) and college grads probably lesser, i'm going with better to go to college.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    considering veterans have higher homeless rates than the general population (of course this has many causes, they usually start out poorer and minority and that means life is hard) and college grads probably lesser, i'm going with better to go to college.
    I can't show any evidence of my degree contributing to a moderately successful career, I didn't earn the degree until the career was well on its way. My DD 214 though, that made all the difference.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    One caution: many of the stats various groups compile about homeless vets are base on self-reporting by the homeless. It is fairly common for them to lie in order to appear more sympathetic. The groups are happy to use that information because it’s easier to raise funds for troubled veterans than the common run of drug addict.

My college degree made ALL the difference in the world for me getting a good job. I got into the government based on "merit scholar"... meaning you had to have at least a 3.85 GPA. My degree cost me around $5,000. I wrote a proposal for each position I held at any job telling them how a class would help me do the job there. I figured the worse they could say to me was no. So, many times classes, as well as, books were paid in full.

I had only one job that required a degree, and I'm not sure even of that one. My silly little Arts and Letters degree wasn't and isn't worth much, which is, coincidentally, what I paid for it. I'll do it differently next time around.

I mentioned my two sons: my third son works for a public community college and he, like UL, will benefit from the student debt forgiveness program when he hits 10 years. He earns very little, and it's difficult for him and his wife to support the two children they probably "couldn't afford", so he is a target for both Jeppy and UL. He, like Jeppy and UL, is a REALLY GOOD HUMAN BEING. We all do the best we can. We all benefit from living in this country, and sometimes things work against us. It all works out in the end. Just like in a marriage, sometimes you have to give 80% and one day you'll have to accept 80% in help but most of the time it's 50/50.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Catherine your third son is the sort of person deserving of loan assistance. He isn't using taxpayer subsidies to jet around the world every 6 months. It sounds like the loan forgiveness program could benefit from means testing. Some schools like Yale have loan forgiveness programs for their graduates but they are only for low earners, not middle or upper class folks.

I needed both my masters to work in the 2 fields that I did. They were a requirement and I had to be licensed. Catherine’s son is the type of person that loan forgiveness is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Catherine your third son is the sort of person deserving of loan assistance.
    Jeppy, how is it that you are the expert on who deserves loan forgiveness and who doesn't?

He isn't using taxpayer subsidies to jet around the world every 6 months.
    But he is using tax payer subsidies to have kids he could not afford. Is having kids you can't afford a luxury enshrined in a protective bubble? Is one luxury you cannot afford any different than another luxury you cannot afford?

Here is the difference: I think Catherine's son should definitely get the benefits from the PSLF program! Sure, I think it was a bad idea to have kids he could not afford. But should that bad idea, that one thing he did, prevent him from having an opportunity to better his life? Should it condemn him to a life of toil and misery? My answer is no.

It sounds like the loan forgiveness program could benefit from means testing.
    Explain.

Some schools like Yale have loan forgiveness programs for their graduates but they are only for low earners, not middle or upper class folks.
    What is your point here?

Thread Information