Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 155

Thread: Top 3 things that give your life meaning.

  1. #131
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine’s son is the type of person that loan forgiveness is for.
    I agree.

    I would add that he is not the only person it was made for.

    Here is what is so frickin' wacky about TT and Jeppy's anti-logic.

    They are upset that I am not poor enough for their standards for the PSLF program.

    So they want me to pay so much more back each month that I would then become poor enough to qualify (in their minds) for PSLF.

    LMAO!

    But wait, there is more TT/Jeppy lunacy here.

    Since I was thereby made poor by being in student loan debt and not by any other bad choice I would deserve my poorness and be disqualified from any form of assistance.

    Makes perfect sense. LOL

  2. #132
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Regarding Catherine's 3rd son, my question to TT/Jeppy is this:

    How much of a raise would he have to get to become a dishonorable moocher? What would it take for you all to attack the character of Catherine's son? $10,000 more in salary? $5,000? $15,000? Where is the line?

    Come on. Speak up. Cast some stones.

  3. #133
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    9,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

    Here is the difference: I think Catherine's son should definitely get the benefits from the PSLF program! Sure, I think it was a bad idea to have kids he could not afford. But should that bad idea, that one thing he did, prevent him from having an opportunity to better his life? Should it condemn him to a life of toil and misery? My answer is no.
    I never said he couldn't afford them (that's why I put it in quotes). I really don't know why I put my son in the firing squad. I wasn't asking for adjudication on my son's decision to work for a low-paying public institution, and I certainly didn't ask for judgement on his family choices (and there are circumstances that I did not and will not elaborate on). My point is that once we become taxpayers, we buy in, as citizens, to the administration of policies that we hope will better the lives of other citizens. We could go from house to house of people on food stamps and beat them up for buying soda or Tastycakes, but that's not going to happen. If you don't like the policy, vote the people who voted for it out of office.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  4. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I never said he couldn't afford them (that's why I put it in quotes). I really don't know why I put my son in the firing squad. I wasn't asking for adjudication on my son's decision to work for a low-paying public institution, and I certainly didn't ask for judgement on his family choices (and there are circumstances that I did not and will not elaborate on). My point is that once we become taxpayers, we buy in, as citizens, to the administration of policies that we hope will better the lives of other citizens. We could go from house to house of people on food stamps and beat them up for buying soda or Tastycakes, but that's not going to happen. If you don't like the policy, vote the people who voted for it out of office.
    For the record: I am defending your son. He sounds like a good guy.

  5. #135
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    9,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    For the record: I am defending your son. He sounds like a good guy.
    Thank you. I think you'd like him and vice versa.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  6. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,942
    It is easy to means test. A multiple of the Federal poverty level is commonly used, which takes into account family size and the fact that children benefit society. Countries with birthrates below death rates suffer economically unless they have significant immigration. Some countries give a child allowance to all parents to encourage procreation. My grandmother got this for her kids in underpopulated rural Saskatchewan.

  7. #137
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It is easy to means test. A multiple of the Federal poverty level is commonly used, which takes into account family size and the fact that children benefit society.
    Hmmm... you don't know much about the PSLF program do you? Man, I just keep taking you to school! LOL Maybe you should call me professor.

    The PSLF program already does this type of thing. Catherine's 3rd son, because he makes a very low salary and is married with kids, probably pays little to nothing each month. The lower your salary the less you pay in the PSLF program. The higher your salary, the more you pay. For instance, since I went from making $50,000 to making $58,500 I will have to pay more each month.

    If you have kids and you make very little salary you can literally make $0 payments each month for ten years and have the entirety of your loan and interest forgiven.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Countries with birthrates below death rates suffer economically unless they have significant immigration.
    What does this have to do with this discussion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Some countries give a child allowance to all parents to encourage procreation.
    What does this have to do with this discussion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My grandmother got this for her kids in underpopulated rural Saskatchewan.
    It feels like you are changing the subject because you realize how badly you keep losing this argument but you are afraid to admit that and simply update your beliefs about the PSLF program and about me.

    Also: You don't answer any of my questions to you because you know I have you trapped into looking foolish because your ideas on this topic are utterly foolish.

  8. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,942
    You have bashed Catherine's son and numerous other people for having children you think they cannot afford. You do not recognize the benefits of children to society.

  9. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    You have bashed Catherine's son and numerous other people for having children you think they cannot afford.
    You are lying. I defended him. I even told Catherine I was defending him. And I will continue to defend people like him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    You do not recognize the benefits of children to society.
    You are really feeling the squeeze, huh? The constricting feeling of being caught in your own bad idea that you just won't disavow.

    This is why you are afraid to actually address my points and answer my questions.

    At least Teacher Terry bowed out of this conversation. I can respect that.

    You keep flailing and flopping around, uninformed, seemingly incapable of making a coherent point.

  10. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Jeppy, your passive-aggressiveness has the watermark of a powerless person.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •