Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 3 things that give your life meaning.

Iíd like to note that my farming family over the years has taken in way more welfare in the form of farm subsidies than Ultralite will ever be able to borrow in student loans.

Many farmers who have done this are millionaires today.

If one is opposed to subsidies, then thereís a lot more than student loan repayment programs that needs to be addressed.

My dad always says he is no different than people on food stamps. He just doesnít have to deal with the social stigma.

Ultralite lives a pretty simple barebones life, other than a few vacations. I think youíre irritated with the wrong person.

Tammy, I appreciate your dad's honesty about the benefits he has received.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I will never support a regressive program that funds your jet set lifestyle.
    Listen to yourself, Jeppy. My jetset lifestyle? I take one or two vacations each year. And this has only been over the past 5 years. Before that it was like every five years. Do you even know what jetset means?

Social programs should be for the needy not the greedy who have a sense of entitlement to let others pay for their overpriced educational mistakes.
    Are people who have more kids than they can afford who then send those kids to public K-12 schools greedy people with a sense of entitlement who feel entitled to making others pay for their "entertainment" mistakes?

You claim to be a liberal but you support a regressive policy rather than a progressive one.
    Having fun with words, huh?

$58K is a lot of money in the heartland. It's the average income for a household not an individual.
    How do you think I got this job? My daddy pulled some strings at the university? Despite going against my middle school and high school guidance counselors' advice, I went to college and did well by working hard, asking questions, actively trying to learn. Then I did well enough that I got into graduate school twice and got two advanced degrees, one of which is directly related to my field which qualifies me for this position. I also got experience in the field in two different organizations (not to mention some internships I did for free along the way).

I grew up in the Heartland on the wrong side of the tracks. I am from the working poor. Don't you understand that?

There is nothing poor or deserving of a subsidy about it.
    Wait, what?

But you have no shame and you keep wanting to re-argue the same points rather than admit you are a moocher.
    I can't help but laugh at this. LOL I just can't help it! LOL!!!

Tammy, I appreciate your dad's honesty about the benefits he has received.
    Wait, is that all it takes?

Jeppy I am thankful to have an opportunity to serve the public and get the remainder of my student loan debt forgiven. I know this is a program that is helping me and I am glad the elected officials in the government created it.

We cool now?

The average family of 4 in Nevada makes 48k/year. My husband used the GI bill after Vietnam plus worked to get his degrees. We paid cash for mine by working. Our vacations were driving to visit family. My kids had one real vacation driving to DC for a week. On some of my forums people with lots of money tweek their income to get maximum ACA credits. We spend a fourth of our yearly income before taxes for healthcare. Yyeppi, I totally understand resenting people that donít have integrity. I do too but itís legal. I can look at myself and not be ashamed. I think it has a lot to do with how you were raised. My parents were big on integrity and less on what you can get for free. I am grateful for the values that they passed down to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The average family of 4 in Nevada makes 48k/year.
    That $48k would go a lot further if they were a family of three, or even two. Right? Darn that free entertainment!

Seriously though, living wage laws need to happen!

My husband used the GI bill after Vietnam plus worked to get his degrees.
    Good for him!

We paid cash for mine by working.
    How much was college back then?

Our vacations were driving to visit family.
    You probably could have gone to Europe if you had chosen not to have kids. So no need to get so high and mighty with your humble-bragging.

My kids had one real vacation driving to DC for a week.
    DC is a great destination!

On some of my forums people with lots of money tweek their income to get maximum ACA credits.
    I can't blame them.

We spend a fourth of our yearly income before taxes for healthcare.
    What health problems do you have? Could they have been prevented with diet and exercise?

Yyeppi, I totally understand resenting people that don’t have integrity.
    Who are these some people you refer to? Get specific.

I do too but it’s legal.
    What is legal?

I can look at myself and not be ashamed.
    Humble-bragging again.

I think it has a lot to do with how you were raised.
    Perhaps. I will be the first to admit I was not raised well. I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks by parents with multiple mental illnesses including stage 5 Compulsive Hoarding Disorder. My house had no heat upstairs or AC in the summer. Many nights I shivered myself to a fitful sleep or sweated all night with very little shut-eye. The carpets were soaked with cat and dog piss or caked with blotches of cat and dog feces or vomit. My parents taught me nothing in the way of financial literacy or how to act in professional situations. Every since I can remember as a child I had deep, difficult, long bouts of depression.

Maybe your parents did a really good job of raising you. And that is why you are such a successful person of integrity. Good for you!

My parents were big on integrity and less on what you can get for free.
    See my last comment above.

I am grateful for the values that they passed down to us.
    Humble-bragging.

Jeppy, Teacher Terry... keep lobbing those pitches at me.

No I have always exercised and ate well. My husband risked life and limb in Vietnam. We didn’t have AC and our bedrooms were upstairs. I laid awake many nights sweating. My parents had tough lives but loved us very much like I loved my kids. I have known people with horrible lives that turned out well. Justify all you want. I don’t care. Sorry you had a shitty childhood.

No I have always exercised and ate well. My husband risked life and limb in Vietnam. We didnít have AC and our bedrooms were upstairs. I laid awake many nights sweating. My parents had tough lives but loved us very much like I loved my kids. I have known people with horrible lives that turned out well. Justify all you want. I donít care. Sorry you had a shitty childhood.

Teacher Terry, I appreciate your integrity and values. Do not let others blame you for high medical premiums which are a function of your age not your lifestyle.

Honesty is a large part of integrity.

Saying you will not comment on things but then doing so is dishonest. Going back and editing your post to cover up your lie is doubly dishonest. Signing papers that you will pay back a loan and then not doing so is dishonest. Acting like you are noble and helping poor students with your high overhead salary which drives tuition inflation is dishonest. Andrew Yang has a plan to cut off Federal financial add to institutions that don't reduce and control their ever spiralling administrative costs. Teachers are what adds value to educational institutions, not administrators who pay for expensive degrees to get expensive academic jobs in a pyramid scheme that is crushing students. Teachers add value the way doctors and nurses add value to medicine. Administrators don't add value the same way insurance companies don't add value in health care.

Thread Information