Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Climate Strike

Youth Climate Strike

The kids at our local school district are going on strike this Friday, for Climate Stuff:

https://orcasissues.com/orcas-studen...r-the-climate/

The local newspaper article on the topic gave their manifesto, from the "US Youth Climate Strike" organization:

https://www.youthclimatestrikeus.org/platform

There are so many key issues that are being kicked down the road for the future to resolve.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don’t like it when children are used as political props.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I don’t like it when children are used as political props.
    These kids are high school kids, not babies, and they have a real-life young heroine--Greta Thunberg. Is their protesting any different from the protests Baby Boomers were involved in in the 60s?

I'm actually going to a rally in Burlington that day. I hope those young kids let this old fogey protest!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm not concerned about the protest - but rather some of the silliness in their platform and demands.

It seems to be a "throw every intersectional issue against the wall" approach.

Yeah, it mirrors the Green New Deal in a way, right? That also has everything but "free ice cream for everyone" in it. I'm not sure it's wise to be so all over the place.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You always start negotiations with some pie in the sky thrown in, and work down from there.
    Good for the kids. My siblings demonstrated at that age (and even my mother was drawn in).

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    You always start negotiations with some pie in the sky thrown in, and work down from there.
    The implementation of any measures to curb climate change must be considerate, and actively working against, the impacts of climate change on marginalized communities-- communities of color, impoverished communities, disabled communities, and LGBTQ+ communities-- who are at the frontline of all climate-related disasters.
    Really? Are LGBTQ+ communities really at the frontline of all climate-related disasters?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Really? Are LGBTQ+ communities really at the frontline of all climate-related disasters?
    Of course they are--to hear some of the more vocal wacko "Christians*" out there, they're the cause of hurricanes, earthquakes, meteor strikes...(there really should be a sarcasm emoji.)

*Not to be confused with sane Christians

The manifesto may have some value, but I think the bigger purpose is public awareness of climate change and that it is the young people who are going to have to deal with the mess they will inherit. I think one big message Greta Thunberg is talking is that global warming is not opinion or politics, but good science.

Thread Information