Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beets

Beets

Just roasted beets for the first time. Cleaned them and put in aluminum foil in my toaster oven so as not to heat up the house. The skins peeled right off. Even DH said they were delicious. Who knew it could be so easy? Said they could then be cut up and frozen. So if you have a bounty of beets, this might be the ticket?

Never heard of doing this before. How interesting! I usually just pickle them as that is my favourite way of enjoying them. When in Cuba, I had salads made with beets grated onto the lettuce similarly to carrots. That was really good. Bet you the roasted beets would be good grated onto salads.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I think beets are fairly easy to make--but they are messy! I typically just like them boiled. When you roast them, do they still make a mess?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love them roasted. Try rutabaga roasted too...yummm.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

When we have too many, I boil, peel, slice and freeze. They taste fresh months later. Last night, hubby decided to pickle 2 quarts. Either way, it's a win!

Yppej
    I have roasted them too, on a cookie sheet sans foil in the regular oven with garlic and olive oil.

Borscht is good but I am terrible at making soup.

Beets are so GOOD for you, but man I just don't care for the taste. I mostly have tried them at salad bars and usually will
    put on one or two token slices on my salad and force them down. Any suggestions would be great.

I’ve made chocolate cake that used puréed beets. You’d never guess they were in there and it was good. I think it is a fairly common recipe. The greens are the best part to me. I trim them all season and will be pulling a few to roast and freeze now, but they are not a favorite of mine either.

I wonder if there is a decent way to make beet chips without using a lot of oil? They have them packaged in the stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    Beets are so GOOD for you, but man I just don't care for the taste. I mostly have tried them at salad bars and usually will
    put on one or two token slices on my salad and force them down. Any suggestions would be great.
    Cook up 2 strips of bacon. Remove from pan and chop. Return to pan along with your sliced beets. OMG!!!!! This is how Mom used to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Cook up 2 strips of bacon. Remove from pan and chop. Return to pan along with your sliced beets. OMG!!!!! This is how Mom used to make them.
    Of course everything goes better with bacon! Though I am vegetarian - so no bacon for me. Funny after nearly 20 years, the smell is bacon is still so nice!

Thread Information