Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super simple work-outs!

Super simple work-outs!

Hi all, I am creating this thread to talk about simple work-outs and simple exercises.

Currently, I work out MWF evenings. This is my routine:

-20 minutes of light cardio (usually dancing to funk and disco)
    -30 traditional push ups (3 sets of 10)
    -30 steep incline push ups (leaned up against my kitchen counter; 1 set of 30)
    -30 gentle incline push ups (leaned up against my bathtub; 3 sets of 10)
    -30 push ups from my knees (1 set of 30)
    -Military press (3 sets of ten with a small set of dumbells totaling 35 lbs.)
    -Bicep curls (Same as above)
    -Calf raises (same as above)
    -(What I call) shoulder pulls (same as above)

I want to get back in the habit of taking Harlan on daily 30 minute walks, but I have not committed to that yet.
    I am also considering some more intense cardio, like maybe running a mile or so on days I don't do the work out above. My ticker could use some extra strength).

Anyone else do simple work outs? Use very little exercise equipment? Please share.

Kettle bell swings - really gets your heart rate up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Kettle bell swings - really gets your heart rate up.
    Swinging them between your legs? I heard that really works your core too!

Equipment: 5, 10, 15# weights and a stability ball.

Workout:

125 situps-on the ball.
    75 pushups
    2 minute plank

Stretch

-Bicep curls 3 sets of 15
    -Triceps curls (as above)
    -Deltoid lift (?) 2 sets of 15
    -Triceps pull (over head and down behind neck) 3 sets of 15
    -Swimmers forward 2 sets of 20
    -Swimmers backstroke as above
    -Wall squat 3 minutes

Stretch

Then I walk 60-90 minutes, whatever distance feels right that day

Total time-90m and sometimes 120

I started this last Monday of July and worked my way up to this over 3 weeks.

I still need to add some pec work-will lay on stability ball and lift that way.

I started with the 5# weights. At 3 months, I will move to the #10. I don't think I'll get to the 15s but hubby likes those.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Equipment: 5, 10, 15# weights and a stability ball.

Workout:

125 situps-on the ball.
    75 pushups
    2 minute plank

Stretch

-Bicep curls 3 sets of 15
    -Triceps curls (as above)
    -Deltoid lift (?) 2 sets of 15
    -Triceps pull (over head and down behind neck) 3 sets of 15
    -Swimmers forward 2 sets of 20
    -Swimmers backstroke as above
    -Wall squat 3 minutes

Stretch

Then I walk 60-90 minutes, whatever distance feels right that day

Total time-90m and sometimes 120

I started this last Monday of July and worked my way up to this over 3 weeks.

I still need to add some pec work-will lay on stability ball and lift that way.

I started with the 5# weights. At 3 months, I will move to the #10. I don't think I'll get to the 15s but hubby likes those.
    You are a bad ass!

Tricep curls are a good idea. I ought to fit some in my work out.

Early morning walk the dog for 30 minutes with leash in left hand to control him and pole in right each morning, swim/tread water for 40 minutes and walk the trail for an hour at least 3 times a week. Dog and I get a 60-70 minute walk every day. Simple!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Every morning I walk two brisk miles before doing anything else. Then I do a simple routine of toe touches, leg lifts, 5lb weight bicep curls, dead lifts, flies etc. standing up and laying on my back. Then I have a cup of coffee.
    I have access to pools and with Medicare a free gym membership at a beautiful gym so those are next five to six times a week. in some combination. Sometimes step aerobics, yoga, various other classes, treadmill or water aerobics and swimming laps. My step count per day is over 20,000 and I ride my bike and walk as much as I can. My first meal is protein, fat and vegetable packed at 10:30-11 am. I eat again at around 5-6, usually steamed veggies, nuts, cheese, meat or fish, butter and full fat dressings. I often go for an evening walk. No sugar except small amounts of fruit every few days, no processed carbs. No eating between meals, no artificial sweeteners, no alcohol. As much organic, free range as I can get. Like people ate before there was an obesity crisis. Never in history has there been a lack of physical activity and abundance of food like we have, or so much processed sugar and processed fat processed carbohydrate cheap food.
    Clean diet and daily exercise has my hemoglobin a1c at 4.1, my cholesterol at 161, and normal BP in my late 60’s with no meds. People are surprised when they learn my age. I don’t look or feel it. Of course being retired I have the time to devote to this. I did not do nearly as well raising kids and working. But this is the time when bad habits rear their ugly head and you can easily end up with handfuls of pills, depression and decreased mobility. My life depends on it.

I am boring.

I do kettlebells while I watch a movie at night. 3 pood kettlebells.

I bike 10-20 miles a day. Including twice a week rides from sea level to the top of the 2400 foot mountain here.

I walk the dog 5 miles a day.

I do 34 floors a day of steps, with a 75 pound weight vest on.

I put on full firefighting gear and breathing gear, and run through the agility course once a week.

I practice fencing and hand-to-hand martial arts an hour a day.

I was thinking I did pretty well for someone my age (58) but y'all put me to shame. Bae- I don't know how you have time to do all those other things you do in a day! WOW.

My workout is MWF on the treadmill for an hour (Wednesday is speed intervals, Friday is incline intervals) followed by 10 minutes or so of free weights and some knee work on a weight bench. Tuesday and Thursday is 15 minutes on the rower, 1/2 hour on a bicycle on a stand and 1/2 hour on the treadmill. I have recently added (since retirement) a weekly yoga class and a weekly strength/flexibiility class. I also do occasional stretching/yoga during the week on my own but nothing formal.

Recently joined a fitness center and taking classes and working the machines. Plan on leaving for a few month this winter and want to exercise while gone so have been researching what to do. So far, the book "Stay Fit For Life" by Joshua Kozak looks the most promising. You can take a test to see how fit you are and then there is a regime set up for each type of exercise and at different fitness levels. The only things I see needed are a few weights and a chair. Got the book from the library.

I also walk at least 10,000 steps daily. However, that is not enough exercise.
    Last edited by frugal-one; 9-20-19 at 3:39pm.

Thread Information