Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pigs will fly.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Pigs will fly.....

Not long ago I posted of a house on the market for over 300K in the 85006. I posted that pigs will fly before the seller gets that much for the house in my neighborhood.

That house to date remains unsold BUT a slightly larger and nicer house not far from me just sold for 320K in the 85006. I'm utterly amazed......and a bit worried as Phoenix historically has been very boom/bust in regards to real estate.

Just never thought a house on my street would sell for THAT much. Rob

Soon normal folks will be priced out of your neighborhood. Welcome to Seattle.

Hey, a $1.3 million one was just sold around the corner from me. So out of place. But a renovated townhouse with no parking (street only) sold for $450,000. Crazy. Last couple of years have really heated up the market downtown in Indianapolis. Our house is almost a tear down.

Out if curiosity i just looked and of the 14 listings in san francisco that are $320,000 or cheaper nine are below market rate (income maximum to buy them) and three are vacant lots.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Soon normal folks will be priced out of your neighborhood. Welcome to Seattle.
    And Portland, and half of California. It reminds me of the idea that you have to work, work, work to afford your house that you're too busy working to enjoy. (And now there's grotesquely-priced health insurance to keep you slaving until you fall into your grave...)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And Portland, and half of California. It reminds me of the idea that you have to work, work, work to afford your house that you're too busy working to enjoy. (And now there's grotesquely-priced health insurance to keep you slaving until you fall into your grave...)
    This is a grotesquely exaggerated view of the world.

I wouldn’t move to either coast because of real estate costs. Once many decades ago it was only the East Coast that was crazy expensive (well, parts of California as well) and as much as I would have
    liked to live in several places on the East Coast, I didn’t move there to due cost of real estate. I wanted to own a house. I had my eye on Portland or the Willamette Valley decades ago but now – nope.And frankly, if you wanna know the truth, back then libraries in the Willamette Valley were not progressive and their technology was not first rate. I would’ve been taking a step down in a technological environment to take a job there. Midwestern libraries were more progressive especially Illinois.

People who live there choose it, let them enjoy their choices.

And as for health insurance, please don’t forget that your president, Barack Obama, created affordable health insurance for everyone with the ACA. He told us we could afford it.If you don’t think that’s affordable then I wonder was that another fantasy he sold to the American public? Personally I think it’s a decent option.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is a grotesquely exaggerated view of the world.

I wouldn’t move to either coast because of real estate costs. Once many decades ago it was only the East Coast that was crazy expensive (well, parts of California as well) and as much as I would have
    liked to live in several places on the East Coast, I didn’t move there to due cost of real estate. I wanted to own a house. I had my eye on Portland or the Willamette Valley decades ago but now – nope.And frankly, if you wanna know the truth, back then libraries in the Willamette Valley were not progressive and their technology was not first rate. I would’ve been taking a step down in a technological environment to take a job there. Midwestern libraries were more progressive especially Illinois.

People who live there choose it, let them enjoy their choices.

And as for health insurance, please don’t forget that your president, Barack Obama, created affordable health insurance for everyone with the ACA. He told us we could afford it.If you don’t think that’s affordable then I wonder was that another fantasy he sold to the American public? Personally I think it’s a decent option.
    As libraries go, Corvallis has one of the best, according to my bibliophile friend who lives there. And there are lovely Victorian homes in Albany, the next town over. Not to mention the excellent growing season. I think you would have liked it there. The King County Library System, which I would be loath to leave, is consistently top-ranked and, IMO, second to none.

The ACA should have been a decent option, if the insurance companies (and the Republicans) hadn't undercut it at every opportunity. I'd like to see the insurance industry marginalized, personally. And Pharma strictly regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

liked to live in several places on the East Coast, I didn’t move there to due cost of real estate.
    When people on the coasts complain about housing costs I say: Then move!
    I think that people feel entitled to live in the part of the country they like the most.

If I had a few million bucks in the bank I'd move to Key West. But I cannot afford that, so I live in the Midwest.

I have moved numerous times for jobs. For some people in certain careers living by the coasts bring them big salaries and they are better off than being in the Midwest. Unfortunately, salaries don’t vary much in human services so it wasn’t the case for me. Human services was also more progressive in the Midwest than here 22 years ago and nothing has changed. Yes we could sell our house and move back to the Midwest and buy one for half the price with much higher taxes. We would be giving up all the events going on constantly, great weather that allows you to be outside year round, so much beauty. There’s a reason our area is constantly growing. The ACA would have been fine if the Republicans hadn’t started chipping away at it. I worry about the young people that were born here and would like to stay. My oldest son and his wife love it here and have been here a long time. They rent and it’s a issue. I would like to live by one of my kids in my later years. It’s been great. We are all very close.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    For some people in certain careers living by the coasts bring them big salaries and they are better off than being in the Midwest.
    Right. And they have nothing to complain about.

Thread Information