Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No clothing purchases for a year challenge already paying off

I'm in. We had our bedrooms and bathrooms painted last week, which meant emptying the closets. I am embarrassed at the amount of clothes i own. I, too, would buy from Poshmark, shopgoodwill.com, end of season sales, etc. So, no new clothes. I am, however, working on getting healthier by losing weight and I have a lot to lose, I figure I can lose 30 pounds and still have clothes to wear. So, we'll see. I'll rewrite my challenge: No new clothes until nothing fits anymore and then only enough until hitting goal weight.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Money aside, consider the ecological implications of not constantly buying clothes. Perhaps you are ahead of the trend here
    I'm glad you brought that up. I had no idea how bad the impact was until I saw the DVD, "True Cost". It made me ill. I've always tried to buy second hand when possible, but I'm also guilty of buying new when I don't have a need and when my closet is full.

It will really help me to think about your post when I'm tempted during my challenge.

I'm glad Sweden is the vanguard in clothes-buying shaming. Hoping it catches on here but I won't hold my breath.

An aside on buying second hand clothing. I'm a fan of The Big Bang Theory and love Penny's sweaters and plaid shirts. This past year (before I started my challenge), I found a website called "Worn on TV". I was able to find the make of those items, and since the episodes I was watching were several years old, many appeared on eBay and Poshmark. They were pretty high end, originally sold at stores like Nordstrom, Saks or Bloomingdales, but I was able to find them used for a fraction of the cost. I think I bought about 6 or 7 pieces.

Thread Information