Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No clothing purchases for a year challenge already paying off

No clothing purchases for a year challenge already paying off

It's been almost a month into my "no clothing purchases for a year" challenge and I'm already seeing results.

I really had no idea how mindless my spending had become. I rarely shop in stores, but I do shop online, especially on eBay and Poshmark. I just didn't realize how much I did it. I never bought more than one thing at a time - the purchases somehow trickled in. Then there were the end of season sales at my favorite places like L. L. Bean, Orvis, etc. Not high ticket items, but small purchases do add up.

I also started a subscription to You Need A Budget last month. I had a budget years ago when we were struggling to get out of debt. Once we were debt free, I thought I had a firm handle on my spending. But I now see how much I was backsliding. We are still debt free but with not much money at the end of the month.

As the fall catalogs are coming in, I'm calling to get off the mailing lists. Yes, I do flip through them (I'm human after all), but so far I've resisted the urge to make a purchase. When I look at my YNAB budget and see my savings categories, I'm more interested in watching them grow than adding one more item to my closet.

So far, so good!

Yppej
    I wondered how you were doing. Good for you!

Yea you!!!!!! Isn't it amazing? I suggest reporting your actual savings month to month. I can't wait to hear your year-end total

This is really inspiring! I am going to look into YNAB, too. Like you, were are out of debt but not making a whole lot of progress.

I realize I'm only into the first month of this challenge, but if it wasn't for YNAB, I might have already caved. There is something about having a snapshot of your finances right in front of you and giving every dollar a job. I think I would have had to use every ounce of willpower once the fall catalogs started coming in (with all their Friends and Family discounts, limited time only temptations). But one look at my budget and I say, "nope", because the money is already allocated and there is zero in my clothing budget.

Now the big challenge is to stay the course.

Chuckling as I read this thread. It sounds just like my dieting effort. If I was tempted, I would step on the weigh scale or look up my record on My Fitness Pal. That look kept me motivated to resist the temptation.
    May I offer one bit of support by suggesting that when you are feeling down for whatever reason and feel really tempted, you define a reward for your perseverance. Mine was an ice cream cone. What would work for a clothing challenge? A special pair of socks that you keep for such occasions, maybe?

The idea of reporting your savings each month will help as well. Great effort on your part!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That’s great news!

Hi Razz - I gave your reward suggestion some thought but figured clothing is different from food. If we eat today, we still need to eat tomorrow. But the clothing I already own can last for years. Adding one more item to an already full closet or drawer wouldn't work for me in this case. An ice cream cone might though. I do love rewarding myself with ice cream.

I think my reward comes from watching my savings categories grow, especially the vacation category. The other reward comes from exercising my will over my desire for more of what I already have.

köpskam
    I was reading that "clothes-buying shaming" is a thing in Sweden. Money aside, consider the ecological implications of not constantly buying clothes. Perhaps you are ahead of the trend here

I dislike shopping for clothes due to a very stressful childhood issue with the whole thing. So recently I found a pair of extremely comfortable pants and tried them for several months to make sure they were what I wanted. Then went and bought 3 pair which should last years. Also got shirts the same way. Found one on sale and it was so comfortable and washable that I got 3 more. I do not care that someone else may think my dressing is boring. Far more important that I am comfortable. (It helps that this appears to be a Macy's brand and I can order online and pick up without entering the shopping area of the store. Big benefit.

Now if I could just find my French terry exercise shirt online I would be happy.

Thread Information