Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Justin Trudeau’s Blackface Problem

Justin Trudeau’s Blackface Problem

Should this sort of thing be a career ender?

Is it better or worse for him that he has rung the social justice bell and let slip the dogs of woke as often as he has in the past?

Is there a statute of limitations for youthful stupidity?

Isn’t it great that somebody other than an American embarrassed his country for a change?

I heard him the other day say it wasn't racist when he did it (several times). I understand he's also currently on his 'Mammy' apology tour. Judging by the audience, they're eating it up.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

“The dogs of woke” will entertain me for days.

Confession- I think he is a poor leader with limited political skills. It isn't just his blackface episode of his teens and also a brownface of a 29 year teacher but other bloopers that show that he is mainly interested in appearances. Is it a political requirement? Apparently, his costume when visiting India as the Prime Minister of Canada was quite inappropriate and offended some in India. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...t-decides.html

I deleted other comments to stay on topic of :
    should youthful indiscretions carry an impact into the future?

Some questions. When is the term youthful applied? How is the seriousness of the offence determined? By whom?

A 29 year old is not a youth, IMO. If the offender continues to commit similar bloopers demonstrating poor judgement and shows continuing inclinations to repeat such offences, he should be booted. The opposite behaviour as an adult showing restraint, careful judgement and thougtfulness after poor choices as a youth, should correct the one episode. Multiple episodes?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Youthful is all about context. To me Beto seems youthful, but I'm in my 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post

I'm a live and let live kinda guy so I vote No, youthful indiscretions should not follow a person forever. But that's conditioned on the premise that we all learn from our mistakes as we age. I'm not impressed with the Prime Minister's very recent subliminal attempt to let us know that "black people are some of my best friends" by changing his Twitter profile pic to one of him speaking with a black man. I'm sure there'll be a lot of pressure among the liberal party in Canada to live and let live, but I'm not yet sure it's deserved.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Youthful is all about context. To me Beto seems youthful, but I'm in my 60's.
    Yes. The older I get, the more young people seem to proliferate.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Confession- I think he is a poor leader with limited political skills. It isn't just his blackface episode of his teens and also a brownface of a 29 year teacher but other bloopers that show that he is mainly interested in appearances. Is it a political requirement? Apparently, his costume when visiting India as the Prime Minister of Canada was quite inappropriate and offended some in India. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...t-decides.html

Some questions. When is the term youthful applied? How is the seriousness of the offence determined? By whom?

A 29 year old is not a youth, IMO. If the offender continues to commit similar bloopers demonstrating poor judgement and shows continuing inclinations to repeat such offences, he should be booted. The opposite behaviour as an adult showing restraint, careful judgement and thougtfulness after poor choices as a youth, should correct the one episode. Multiple episodes?
    Canadian elections astonish me. Forty days from start to finish? What if you blink and miss it? Your cable news people must be close to starvation.

Isn’t it confusing that the right wingers call themselves the People’s Party?

I have mixed feelings. I think this is poor judgment and yes, he was very young. Is it OK because there was no physical harm? Was emotional harm incurred at the time?

Kavenaugh's physical thus long-term emotional violation of women is being written off as an old event that's statute of limitations has run out. So he got his big job.

No one gets to go back and undo poor decision-making and how these play out as adults is a mixed bag of forgiveness and persecution.

If I believed in his platform and that he was qualified to be my leader, I would support him inspite if this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I have mixed feelings. I think this is poor judgment and yes, he was very young. Is it OK because there was no physical harm? Was emotional harm incurred at the time?

Kavenaugh's physical thus long-term emotional violation of women is being written off as an old event that's statute of limitations has run out. So he got his big job.

No one gets to go back and undo poor decision-making and how these play out as adults is a mixed bag of forgiveness and persecution.

If I believed in his platform and that he was qualified to be my leader, I would support him inspite if this.
    Well you brought it up, so —I don’t understand why Brett Kavanaugh’s p e n i s or crotch is supposed to be of interest to everybody all the time. It was a news story last week.

I was only half listening to the radio and a story came up about his crotch in some girl’s face. My thoughts were in this sequence

1) Is this radio report a rerun from the Kavannagh hearings of a year ago?
    2) No? Then this must be new Brett outrage based on his recent actions as an adult
    3) No? So We are supposed to be shocked when frat boys act like frat boys as described in someone’s book
    4) Nope.
    5) Next.

Thread Information