Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Thinking of moving

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I spotted this gem a few days ago. It's cheap even for a mobile, so I figure either a murder was committed there, it's haunted, or the park owners are selling out. I restrained myself from sending them a down payment...
    https://www.trulia.com/p/wa/olympia/...06--2119410328
    Jane, it's AMAZING. Is the HOA really hight? I would buy it in a heartbeat. The water. The woodstove. It's big, too-- 3/2!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Jane, it's AMAZING. Is the HOA really hight? I would buy it in a heartbeat. The water. The woodstove. It's big, too-- 3/2!
    I wonder about the HOA; I couldn't find it in the listing, which isn't a good sign.
    Maybe they've done their homework and global warming will wash it out to sea. The property taxes looked delightful to me...
    Olympia has lots of water, though it may be a little too close to Mt. Rainier if it should erupt. And the Nisqually earthquake (2000, was it?) was centered nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I wonder about the HOA; I couldn't find it in the listing, which isn't a good sign.
    Maybe they've done their homework and global warming will wash it out to sea. The property taxes looked delightful to me...
    Olympia has lots of water, though it may be a little too close to Mt. Rainier if it should erupt. And the Nisqually earthquake (2000, was it?) was centered nearby.
    I'm with Tybee.. it's great! Are you going to check it out?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Jane, looks like it’s overpriced, the house across the street is listed for $74,xxx. Also, there’s a large pile of tree debris in one of the pictures. Did a tree fall and cause damage? It’s almost 50 yrs old, and right on the water; hard to tell from the pictures of fresh paint if it has really been kept up from inevitable weathering. And there is no mention of “park approval” to lease the land, or of the monthly fee. The listing screams “inexperienced seller” which can lead to troubles, though not if the buyer is saavy.

Most likely, the owner died, and heirs turned it over to a management company to “clean up and sell.” Not having done a good comp analysis, they have listed it too high. I’ve seen that scenario play out a few times where I live. Usually they sit on the market until the listing expires, then a new realtor lists it at a comparable price and it sells inside of a week.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 2-23-20 at 4:07am. Reason: Clarity

Jane, I looked a little further, lot rent is around $800/ mo. And there is a listing for the same property from June 2019, obviously prior to painting and creative photography...
    (googled the address)

Property taxes are low, because it’s not real property, it is personal property.

With the stories of land being sold out from under mobile home parks or of the owners not maintaining sewer and water systems, I would not consider one even with a pretty view. Well, unless the cost is not important if lost. We did own one in the 70s. Park has since been demolished and sold to commercial interests.

What wisdom is being shared here!!!
    About 30 years ago, a new development on Lake Ontario for housing seniors was created to lease land for homes and the lease price included water, a club house, golf course etc and snow removal. DH and I checked it out to see how it worked as the concept seemed unique.

The monthly lease at that time was under $100/mth with the advice that the cost of the lease would not be increased by more than 1-2% per year if I remember correctly. Look up Wilmot Creek in Bowmanville, Ontario.

DH thought it seemed a ponzi-type of scheme as the most recent owner of each dwelling would have greater difficulty selling their aging dwelling and increased lease rate.

I recently checked out that development for fun and curiosity and the lease on one older home is now $983/mth.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Thread Information