Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of moving

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    It's a beautiful house, and what a great location on the water/canals! Having lived in the NE my whole life, lanais with in-ground pools are strange and wonderful things to me.

BTW, how are you doing the concrete dock and how much is it? We have a very old concrete dock in our neighborhood that is dire need of repair. Just curious. We'll probably just patch it up somehow, but would love to really upgrade it so it's attractive as well as functional.
    I’ve been given a ballpark price of between $15,000-$25,000. This does not include the lift. Varies of coarse due to length, how many piers, disposal of old.

I can’t get any solid bids till we close.

unfortunatly the lady that currently lives in the home is the original owner, her husband passed about 10 years ago. Her kids are moving her out, I assume to assisted living. She does not want to move, and it’s hard to show or inspect as she won’t leave.

We tried to be as nice as we could and we have not told her we are basically tearing everything out. She is very proud of the house and feels that there is nothing wrong with it. There should be no reason for anyone to inspect.

Before we close, we will have to make sure we don’t have a squatter. And I’m changing the locks. As someone who recently had to go through this with my dad, I feel for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Beautiful house! So much cheaper than here.
    Thanks, according to the wife it needs a lot of updating. We will be doing some of the work, but still are budgeting putting another $125,000-$150,000 in it.

prices have been going up the last few years, and the area is definatly growing. We currently live on the golf coarse and felt if we were going to move to a canal house, we should do it now.

I am not surprised it’s a old lady by the furniture and decorating). Also it’s a great climate for the pool. I am sure you will get lots of use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Are those canal things all over Florida or is there just a particular area where they are? I ask because I’ve noticed them before but I can’t remember where I was looking at real estate online.

I like the canals in Venice California because the architecture can be charming and the canals are historic. There are only two or three short canals in Venice though.
    The big draw to this town is it’s canal systems. The city even maintains the sea walls. And my understanding is more can’t be built, may just be in this county though. There are a few towns that have them, so not uncommon, but still limited and more desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Thanks, according to the wife it needs a lot of updating. We will be doing some of the work, but still are budgeting putting another $125,000-$150,000 in it.

prices have been going up the last few years, and the area is definatly growing. We currently live on the golf coarse and felt if we were going to move to a canal house, we should do it now.
    Interesting. I think the kitchen cabinetry is fabulous-I'd lose the wallpaper and if the counters aren't solid, replace those. Beautiful overall! Love the sunroom/outdoor space.

Enjoy this trip toward moving into your new home!

Beautiful house! I agree maybe lose the wallpaper, but everything else looks good. Maybe I just have lower/different standards - LOL. Enjoy making it yours.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I love all the natural light!

I used to work on Cooper Street, so I know the area.

That is a gorgeous house and setting. The pool and area are so inviting and airy. Glad you found what you and your wife wanted.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Do you have to buy hurricane insurance when you live on the Florida coast? My father used to live on the Texas coast near Houston and it was an almost annual ritual to tape up/board windows when hurricanes threatened.

I spotted this gem a few days ago. It's cheap even for a mobile, so I figure either a murder was committed there, it's haunted, or the park owners are selling out. I restrained myself from sending them a down payment...
    https://www.trulia.com/p/wa/olympia/...06--2119410328

Thread Information