Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1166

Thread: Impeachment?

Before TV and maybe radio, when promotion of candidates depended on newspapers, whistle stops, and I suppose leaflets, voting must have been a much different process. We may not have had presidents like "silent Cal" Coolidge.

I just voted for Pete on my mail in ballot. It wasn't an easy choice, with Bernie and Klobuchar the other close choices. I don't know if any of them can end the bitter bipartisanship, but I was favoring a moderate and a younger person less connected to old school politics. It always seems like Bernie is yelling at me, too. I'm not sure out country is ready for a gay president but we have a gay governor here it it hasn't caused problems. I think Pete has an edge over Trump on a few things and could probably play on Trumps supposed draft evasion, represents middle American to a degree, and is well spoken enough to do good in a debate.

I’m struck by how the definition of “moderate” has changed over the last five years.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’m struck by how the definition of “moderate” has changed over the last five years.
    Indeed. The republican ability to push it far to the right seems to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Indeed. The republican ability to push it far to the right seems to be over.
    Too true. I deplore the leftward drift in the GOP. It seems like anyone who didn’t honeymoon in the USSR can call themself a moderate now. I’m going to miss the good old days.

I’m going to miss the good old days.
    Me too! Chris Matthews says he's convinced if we hadn't won the Cold War back in the 80's there'd have been executions in Central Park, much like Fidel and Che arranged in Cuba. When I hear Bernie talk about Millionaires and Billionaires I get chills. And when Warren talks about taking half of a poor college student's last $6, I'm thinking the future looks bleak.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It probably depends on the measures used to define moderate and extreme. For examples, I think massive tax reductions along side big spending increases, especially military, is right wing that may have had roots in the tea party, or the growing expressions of white nationalism. My take is that each party has pushed the other to the extreme and indeed what we've thought of as the middle ground or moderate is rare or different.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Me too! Chris Matthews says he's convinced if we hadn't won the Cold War back in the 80's there'd have been executions in Central Park, much like Fidel and Che arranged in Cuba. When I hear Bernie talk about Millionaires and Billionaires I get chills. And when Warren talks about taking half of a poor college student's last $6, I'm thinking the future looks bleak.
    The best purges this decadent generation can manage are twitter campaigns and shouting down college speakers. I miss the forthrightness of my Cold War youth.

Too true. I deplore the leftward drift in the GOP. It seems like anyone who didn’t honeymoon in the USSR can call themself a moderate now. I’m going to miss the good old days.
    I remember when they lost it - they let some Hollywood actors' union leader/labor organizer switch from Democrat to Republican, and even ran him for President a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    When I hear Bernie talk about Millionaires and Billionaires I get chills.
    They say "millionaires and billionaires" with such gusto, like they are talking about serial killers.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I remember when they lost it - they let some Hollywood actors' union leader/labor organizer switch from Democrat to Republican, and even ran him for President a couple of times.
    Yeah. Where’s Coolidge when we need him?

Thread Information