Page 46 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Suspending aid previously authorized by Congress is hardly unprecedented. Obama suspended aid to Egypt ( for real, not hinted at) and nobody proclaimed a constitutional crisis.
    If you can’t see the difference between why obama suspended that aid and why trump suspended the ukraine aid then future conversation on this topic is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If you can’t see the difference between why obama suspended that aid and why trump suspended the ukraine aid then future conversation on this topic is pointless.
    Because attributed motives trump actions?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've found watching the hearings to be very informative. I've always thought the city, Kiev, was pronounced Key-ev but now know that it's properly pronounced Keeve. I hope I'm not the only one who didn't know that.
    I didn’t know that either. So I embarrassed myself every time I ordered Chicken Kiev the same way I did so over Peking Duck?

I didn’t know that either. So I embarrassed myself every time I ordered Chicken Kiev the same way I did so over Peking Duck?
    After a little research, I believe you're probably safe on the Chicken Kiev since the difference between pronunciations is based on either a Russian or Ukranian dialect. The Peking Duck is probably the bigger issue in that Beijing is the current politically correct way to pronounce the European Colonial word Peking, although I have no idea what effect it may have on the taste of a duck.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Because attributed motives trump actions?
    Do you actually believe that trump’s actions regarding ukraine were motivated for different reasons than what everyone, including mick mulvaney, has said?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Do you actually believe that trumpÂ’s actions regarding ukraine were motivated for different reasons than what everyone, including mick mulvaney, has said?
    What I believe is that attempting to punish the motivation rather than the act is where the rule of law dissolves into mob mentality. Every recent president has used aid to leverage recipients. ThatÂ’s partly what itÂ’s there for. Every recent president has dispensed funds consistent with agendas of their own without regard to congressional intent. Some have even boasted about it.

I think what we are seeing now is more emotional catharsis than forensic process. More frantic style than substance. From the beginning, TrumpÂ’s election under rules aimed at mitigating a tyrannical majority has been a source of cognitive dissonance and emotional pain for many who need to believe in their intellectual and moral superiority. Three years of secreting angry political pheromones has primed them for something, anything to make their world make sense again.

Russian conspiracy theories failed. The field of candidates for next year has yielded no clear champion to slay the beast. That great mass of rage has to go somewhere, so it focused on one nasty if fairly common piece of diplomatic sausage-making for an outlet. With virtually no hope of succeeding in the constitutional purpose of the process, all the sound and fury amounts to little more than primal scream therapy.

So a president using the power of his office for direct personal gain is ok?

You will never change the mind of the Forever Trumpers.

Wow. Just - wow. You truly believe that it is fine for a president to collude with a foreign government to further his chances for re-election? You're ok with that? that motive has no place in any investigative process? You're happy to turn a blind eye to the large amount of factual evidence (unmanufactured by faux-news or white supremacists, etc...) that Russia did indeed interfere in our election process, and is likely to do so again? You're pleased to have a commander in chief who sucks up to tyrants and praises them and their governments? The hypocrisy of many of today's right-leaning "Patriots" and "Christians" is, frankly, stomach-turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    You will never change the mind of the Forever Trumpers.
    you dont read much around here, eh? LDahl is a prime representation of a Never Trumper. I think his words have great value for that reason.

But to answer jp’s question, NO, the Prez may not use my resources for personal gain. I am the one who owns all of those goodies called “foreign aid” not him.

Thread Information