Page 94 of 117 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The pen she signed should be saved.....in this case, the pen was used as an instrument of Human Rights. Future generations will shake their heads over how Trump could have possibly been elected and might just view said pen as worth saving/celebrating. Rob
    They’ll probably want to display it with a continuous loop of her celebratory fist bump will Bill Maher so future generations will understand what a somber and serious matter it was.

Beat that, Schuyler Colfax!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Nancy Pelosi takes this issue seriously and doesn't "giggle."
    Really, I thought I detected one at about 3min, 50sec into this video, right after smiling and saying "and you're impeached forever". At least it seemed giggly to me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    About the same time you were posting this Dershowitz was on MSNBC being grilled about this very thing as the host tried to make the same negative insinuation as you. I missed part of his response because I was frying bacon at the time but he seemed to come away unscathed, to the obvious disappointment of Ms Hallie Jackson.

I'm sure a video clip of that exchange will soon be available somewhere, you might enjoy seeing it.....or not.
    I will certainly look for it. As a defense lawyer if he couldn’t talk circles around her something would clearly be wrong. Whether what he said shows him to be at all consistent with past stated views is another question entirely. Not that I expect him to. He doesn’t get paid to be consistent. He gets paid to win cases.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I will certainly look for it. As a defense lawyer if he couldn’t talk circles around her something would clearly be wrong. Whether what he said shows him to be at all consistent with past stated views is another question entirely. Not that I expect him to. He doesn’t get paid to be consistent. He gets paid to win cases.
    I think his point was that he was being consistent, it's just that we misconstrue the meaning of 'high crimes and misdemeanors' and tend to use it as a catch-all to achieve the result we'd like to see rather than allow the electorate to correct improprieties through the ballot box. I think he further argues that if the low standard of 'abuse of power' and 'contempt of congress' were allowed to become the standard for impeachment, every President including Lincoln and Roosevelt and Kennedy should have been impeached and that every future President almost certainly will.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

And we're back to the question of whether it's a minor thing that trump used the power of his office to withhold foreign aid to an ally that desperately needed it solely for the personal reason of getting them to open a sham investigation of a political opponent in the hopes of changing the result of an upcoming election in his favor. We can go in circles all day on this and Dershowitz can make all the flowery arguments he wants about it and roughly zero people will change their mind.

I'd love to hear more about how Lincoln, Roosevelt and Kennedy made secret decisions that were not for the benefit of the country's objectives and solely for their own personal benefit.

There are plenty of examples of abuse of power and contempt of Congress. Lincoln suspended habeas corpus and authorized borrowing and spending without going through Congress, as well as shutting down hundreds of newspapers. Roosevelt interned Japanese Americans by executive order. Kennedy used the FBI and IRS as weapons against his enemies throughout his tenure.

I suppose some of it comes down to what are impeachable offenses at all when you can hide behind executive privilege and presidential powers. I'm sure there are more obvious examples of high crimes and misdemeanors, but also some that are in grey areas and deserve some scrutiny and a ruling of an impartial panel. Maybe some of it depends on a public consensus of the day.

The idea that "all's fair in politics; winning is the only thing" (to mix metaphors) is a fast slide down a slippery slope, and we should fight it where and when we can.

They are going to spend 3 long days lasting until midnight for the proceedings. What are they hiding doing it past business hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    They are going to spend 3 long days lasting until midnight for the proceedings. What are they hiding doing it past business hours?
    As I understand it, they can't start each day until afternoon to accommodate the Chief Justice's schedule down the street.

Thread Information