Page 85 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

I am at a loss to know how “blacks” were unable to “get to polling sites” due to what you call “gerrymandering.”

“Gerrymandering” is the epithet thrown at the process of redistricting political jurisdictions, a perfectly legal and necessary activity. The losing team who doesn’t have the power to draw district lines often cries “Gerrymandering.”

True gerrymandering is complicated to define; cases are in front of courts all over the country to identify it. Complicated math formulas are employed by both sides in court. I would shoot myself in the head if I had to be on such a jury due to the technical information presented.

but hey, yay for Milwaukee Democrats in pinning an election irregularity on race. That will get ‘em lots of traction.

I may go off to google this issue...

The decline in black turnout from 2012 to 2016 wasn’t due to gerrymandering. It was due to the different levels of enthusiasm for the Democratic presidential candidates.

Changing district lines generally doesn’t change polling locations, just the districts represented by the people who vote there.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    gerrymandering
    Gerrymandering is what the republicans do to reduce democratic representation in the house of representatives or in state legislative districts. For instance it's the reason why after the 2016 election Wisconsin's state house has only 39 democrats out of 99 districts, despite the fact that democrats won more total votes statewide. Gerrymandering does not have any effect on presidential elections. Vote suppression, ID requirement laws, and other shenanigans potentially do but those are not gerrymandering.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    For instance it's the reason why after the 2016 election Wisconsin's state house has only 39 democrats out of 99 districts, despite the fact that democrats won more total votes statewide.
    In 2016, Republican Assembly candidates received 51.7% of total votes cast. Democrats received 45.5%.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    In 2016, Republican Assembly candidates received 51.7% of total votes cast. Democrats received 45.5%.
    You are correct. I was actually referencing the 2018 results.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The decline in black turnout from 2012 to 2016 wasn’t due to gerrymandering. It was due to the different levels of enthusiasm for the Democratic presidential candidates.

Changing district lines generally doesn’t change polling locations, just the districts represented by the people who vote there.
    BS.... the polling locations for blacks were changed by redistricting so many would have had to travel by bus for more than an hour. This limited the black vote!

In Kansas in some small towns where many don’t own cars they put the polls 2 miles from the nearest bus stop. They didn’t want the Hispanics to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You are correct. I was actually referencing the 2018 results.
    If you look at 2018, I would have to agree with you. The proportions basically flipped, and the GOP only lost a seat or two.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    BS.... the polling locations for blacks were changed by redistricting so many would have had to travel by bus for more than an hour. This limited the black vote!
    Can you point to any credible reports on that? I lived in the area at the time, and I heard a lot of accusations of voter suppression connected to the voter ID law and some about longer lines at some polling places than others; but nothing about changes in poll locations driven by redistricting.

“Traditionally it’s always been Republicans suppressing votes in places,” Justin Clark, a senior political adviser and senior counsel to Trump’s re-election campaign, said at the event.

I wonder how many elections they'd win if they didn't cheat; I guess we'll never know...

Thread Information