Page 24 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I agree with you that there is some public relations pushback about automating jobs for places like Walmart, where the American public sees and touches the automation. That isn’t the case for many many other businesses that have grounds never trodden by the American public. It all can go on behind closed doors.
    IL, I agree with you that some automation will go on behind closed doors as you say. Where I differ with you is in my assessment of human nature under such a circumstance. In other words, enough such automation coupled with dire economic consequences? An economically fearful population will put up with this to some degree but a line will eventually be crossed with automation victims taking it to the streets ala Hong Kong. There will be pushback - likely not until there a large numbers of automation victims - and things won't be pretty. I would not be surprised if such arrives in America within the next ten years, especially if the GOP retains power - a fate not especially wise for a rough economic period of technology causef job loss. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What is "money"?
    Paper currency and coins accepted by society as having some measure of worth in the marketplace. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Paper currency and coins accepted by society as having some measure of worth in the marketplace. Rob
    Why would "money" be a determining factor in how a society functions, especially after the robots and AI take over all of the boring dehumanizing work? (And where does "money" come from? Who decides?)

Why let that limit your thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Why would "money" be a determining factor in how a society functions, especially after the robots and AI take over all of the boring dehumanizing work? (And where does "money" come from? Who decides?)

Why let that limit your thinking?
    What replaces the concept of money then? Proposals for universal basic income all seem to incorporate the concept of money, and to date these proposals are the only proposed solution(s) I have heard if for the coming AI/automation onslaught. Rob

Yppej
    Most of my money is not in this form. I am paid via direct deposit and many of my expenditures are via check or credit card. Can money be electrons transmitted from one entity's account to another's?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Most of my money is not in this form. I am paid via direct deposit and many of my expenditures are via check or credit card. Can money be electrons transmitted from one entity's account to another's?
    True. I mostly live off a credit union debit card myself, with cash not often touching my hands. That said, given that I reside on US soil, as does my credit union, the units of value in my accounts are referred to as x number of dollars and cents. Should I close out my accounts, whatever is left in them will be handed back to me in US dollars and cents. My point? My accounts are not completely removed from the concept of money/currency referred to as the US dollar. Should Razz be reading this, out of respect for our neighbors to the North, in Razz's case such would be referred to as CDN, or Canadian dollars. Rob

IL, I agree with you that some automation will go on behind closed doors as you say. Where I differ with you is in my assessment of human nature under such a circumstance. In other words, enough such automation coupled with dire economic consequences? An economically fearful population will put up with this to some degree but a line will eventually be crossed with automation victims taking it to the streets ala Hong Kong. There will be pushback - likely not until there a large numbers of automation victims - and things won't be pretty. I would not be surprised if such arrives in America within the next ten years, especially if the GOP retains power - a fate not especially wise for a rough economic period of technology causef job loss. Rob
    Don’t worry. I’m sure the robot police will be able to handle any problems that crop up.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Don’t worry. I’m sure the robot police will be able to handle any problems that crop up.
    Scary thought! Rob

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    So getting back to impeachment, what do you think of the WH ordering people not to testify or cooperate, calling the proceedings a Kangaroo court etc?
    One thing I keep thinking is as the political tides shift, how will future presidents, congress act? What is acceptable to say and do as a president and cabinet and what are the limits? Who will enforce them?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    So getting back to impeachment, what do you think of the WH ordering people not to testify or cooperate, calling the proceedings a Kangaroo court etc?
    One thing I keep thinking is as the political tides shift, how will future presidents, congress act? What is acceptable to say and do as a president and cabinet and what are the limits? Who will enforce them?
    I think it's part of the normal operating strategy for the Trump administration. Push things into the court system and count on things being so slow it won't seem as relevant, if the courts ever do get around to ruling on things. Or with a little luck the courts will rule in his favor. That was part of the Mueller investigation, too.

I wrote our republic Senator on the impeachment issue under the assumption it will eventually reach the senate. Our state is a swing state and they say it might only take a few republicans senators to start a movement. Probably won't do much good at all other than making me feel a little better.

I agree, T has pushed the limits of executive power so far it seems to endanger the system of checks and balances set up by the constitution. And he's finding enough loopholes to get away with it. I think people said something similar about Obama, but Trump is taking it to new depths.

Thread Information