Page 88 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    57% of the public, including 56% of independents, support having witnesses at the senate trial. That's pretty much everyone but the forever trumpers. Not sure how having a solid majority of the public supporting her is failure. Assuming that moscow mitch moves forward with having a sham trial the only question left is how big of a price will senate republicans pay. The ones in purple/blue states should definitely be concerned about their political futures if they follow mitch down this path.
    Yes, but that was basically true before the kerfuffle commenced. The needle hasn’t much moved for quite a while. I think the people who want Trump out, in which number I include myself, would much prefer the standard electoral route. I think the Democrats ( and everyone else’s) interests would be better served by producing a viable opposition candidate than producing daytime drama.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Yes, but that was basically true before the kerfuffle commenced. The needle hasn’t much moved for quite a while. I think the people who want Trump out, in which number I include myself, would much prefer the standard electoral route. I think the Democrats ( and everyone else’s) interests would be better served by producing a viable opposition candidate than producing daytime drama.
    I suspect within the context of national polls the line have been drawn and any effect the impeachment delay has had would be difficult to measure and is probably negligible. Here in my swing state we have a GOP senator up for re-election. State polls show more then 65% are in favor of calling more witnesses and evidence. Senator Gardner has been noticeably mum in offering opinions or indications of how he might vote, although he's pretty much towed the Trump line on other issues. When you get down to microcosms of possible effects, it's probably even more difficult to say the delay and more attention to with holding witnesses might have, but it could have some significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I suspect within the context of national polls the line have been drawn and any effect the impeachment delay has had would be difficult to measure and is probably negligible. Here in my swing state we have a GOP senator up for re-election. State polls show more then 65% are in favor of calling more witnesses and evidence. Senator Gardner has been noticeably mum in offering opinions or indications of how he might vote, although he's pretty much towed the Trump line on other issues. When you get down to microcosms of possible effects, it's probably even more difficult to say the delay and more attention to with holding witnesses might have, but it could have some significance.
    Your Senator will vote with his Republican colleagues. They all vote with their party when push comes to shove.

That’s why I don’t cotton with the philosophy of “vote for the best person at the ballot box” because every one of them, on the big issues, gather with their herd. That is when party is paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Your Senator will vote with his Republican colleagues. They all vote with their party when push comes to shove.
    I have no doubt that will be the case. Whether he will be re-elected and how the impeachment issues have or will influence his chances is the question.

It is interesting that Alan Dershowitz is making the constitutional argument against impeachment on Trump’s defense team. I can just hear the voices here saying “so what? He is a well-known defender of reprobates like O.J. Simpson and Jeffrey Epstein. “

But I still find it interesting that he is doing it. Today NPR had an interview with him and he was clear he is making a constitutional argument that opens the case, he is not working on the team’s strategy and he’s not advising in any other capacity. He also had to remind everyone that he voted for Hillary and is a well-known liberal type person.

I can think of a couple of black-and-white thinkers on this website who probably can’t wrap their head around that.

I suppose Dershowitz can make the argument that what trump did was not a high crime or misdemeanor. And I'm sure he'll make a pretty penny doing so. And convince approximately zero people.

Considering what Ken Starr had to say about executive privilege 20 years ago it's a good thing he's not on Trump's defense team. Oh wait...

https://twitter.com/ForTheRuleOfLaw/...473985/video/1

I suppose Dershowitz can make the argument that what trump did was not a high crime or misdemeanor. And I'm sure he'll make a pretty penny doing so. And convince approximately zero people.
    I've read that his participation will be limited to a one hour or so dissertation on why a President exercising power within his constitutional responsibilities, without compelling evidence of a crime, is not a basis for impeachment. But I think you're partly right, he won't convince anyone who made up their mind about the President's unsuitability for office before he was elected. The tragedy will be if he's unsuccessful and the standard for impeachment becomes a dislike for something as inconsequential as a spray on tan.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    But I think you're partly right, he won't convince anyone who made up their mind about the President's unsuitability for office before he was elected.
    Keep telling yourself that's the reason he was impeached enough times and maybe it will actually become truth? There must've been a third article of impeachment that I didn't hear about.

Keep telling yourself that's the reason he was impeached enough times and maybe it will actually become truth? There must've been a third article of impeachment that I didn't hear about.
    The articles of impeachment are irrelevant, they could have been for anything. There's been a concerted effort among the Democrats to impeach for any reason since the election and there are multiple threads here filled with wishful thinking on the subject since his first month in office. The pressure to impeach finally overcame Nancy Pelosi's better judgement, to the detriment of us all.

I kind of feel bad for the disappointment so many will feel when this effort fails to remove him from office and am equally disturbed that the Democrats have pretty much guaranteed another term rather than let a rational public choose from better candidates. Maybe you guys will eventually recognize the logic of "live and learn".
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information