Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Impeachment?

It’s sounding like Nancy Pelosi has opened the door to impeachment hearings over Trump’s Ukraine idiocy. Is this a good thing or a bad thing for her party’s interests?

On the one hand, it could backfire if the public perceives it as mere partisan politics, which could especially hurt Democrats in the districts they turned over in 2018. It could also distract attention from the presidential candidates trying to get their message across. Unless they can turn up some really damning stuff, it seems unlikely they would get twenty Republican senators to vote to remove Trump before the next election.

On the other hand, it could give them a sort of reality show to beat up their opposition for thirteen months. They might even use it to shut down production at the judicial appointment factory for some period of time. If they managed to tar the whole GOP with the Trump brush, they could reap benefits for years to come.

I could see it going either way.

Yppej
    Interesting that some of the same people who bemoaned the special breaks given to George W. Bush because his daddy was president now are outraged about the spotlight being turned on Hunter Biden, who got $50,000 a month from his Ukrainian gig because his daddy was vice president.

I think this whole impeachment thing is interesting. Pelosi has successfully resisted the mistake of giving in to the radical elements of her party up till now, but then announces the impeachment inquiry the day before the transcript of the call it's based upon is released.

Didn't they learn anything from that whole Mueller report fiasco where they kept everyone's hopes up for so long only to have them bashed. If this whistleblower thing doesn't pan out the way they hope they may be sabotaging Warren's bid for the White House before it has a chance to be formalized.

There may be a chess game in play here but if so it must be multi-dimensional because the strategy is beyond me.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Did he announce he would release the transcript before she announced the inquiry?

I am confused--wouldn't the optics be better for her to have transcript out first in case it seems innocuous on hearing/reading it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Did he announce he would release the transcript before she announced the inquiry?

I am confused--wouldn't the optics be better for her to have transcript out first in case it seems innocuous on hearing/reading it?
    I totally agree... I am on the side of those who think that this could be a big mistake for the Democrats. UNLESS there is some egregious misuse of power--but even so, Trump voters will not care. He is right that he could kill someone in Times Square and get away with it. He can abuse women and get away with it. There's a whole long list of things that he's gotten away with--so colluding with a foreign leader for his own political interests is going to be a big "so what" in the minds of much of the country.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yes
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think this whole impeachment thing is interesting. Pelosi has successfully resisted the mistake of giving in to the radical elements of her party up till now, but then announces the impeachment inquiry the day before the transcript of the call it's based upon is released.

Didn't they learn anything from that whole Mueller report fiasco where they kept everyone's hopes up for so long only to have them bashed. If this whistleblower thing doesn't pan out the way they hope they may be sabotaging Warren's bid for the White House before it has a chance to be formalized.

There may be a chess game in play here but if so it must be multi-dimensional because the strategy is beyond me.
    The Mueller deal showed what a scumbag trump really is. The whistleblower is showing the same. I would rather see trump in prison. He is truly a bad actor.... literally and figuratively. We all know nothing will happen though. bill barr and the senate are in trump's pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The Mueller deal showed what a scumbag trump really is. The whistleblower is showing the same. I would rather see trump in prison. He is truly a bad actor.... literally and figuratively. We all know nothing will happen though. bill barr and the senate are in trump's pocket.
    I know its frustrating to have those folks fail to punish based upon lack of crime. Don't they know prison is justified because we just don't like him?

I know its frustrating to have those folks fail to punish based upon lack of crime. Don't they know prison is justified because we just don't like him?
    It's my impression that a crime doesn't have to be committed to be impeached, as in Bill Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It's my impression that a crime doesn't have to be committed to be impeached, as in Bill Clinton.
    That's quite right, but frugal-one won't be satisfied with impeachment, she wants scumbags sent to prison. I wonder if she'd like to see Trump and Clinton share a cell?

Thread Information