Page 53 of 117 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Since it'll probably be a short list can you name the politicians that don't annoy you?
    Tough question, isn’t it? As a class, we seem to demand that our politicians adopt a sort of self-righteous earnestness that mere flesh and blood cannot sustain. The ones who keep up the act even when they’re out of office are the cringiest.

I haven’t actually enjoyed a political debate since Cheney-Lieberman in 2000. I can’t say I’ve been positively inspired by a politician’s style since Reagan. I don’t mind listening to Bernie, even if he does talk a lot of nonsense. Bill Clinton had a certain oily charm, even at his sleaziest. You wanted to keep watching just to see how he would wriggle out of the latest difficulty.

Frugal, keep in mind that you’re asking that of someone who thinks jimmy carter is just as awful of a human being as trump.
    Thanks. Will read further before making the leap to that assumption.

Carter isn’t acting. He lives his values.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Thanks. Will read further before making the leap to that assumption.
    Once again, I said not as awful but equally annoying.

What is it about Trump that triggers this Pavlovian response that makes otherwise rational people leap to the conclusion that anyone who doesn’t commence howling the instant they hear the name must be one of his supporters? That any comparison must begin with a Trumpian benchmark?

Perhaps because he is so very evil?

Carter was an ok president, though none will say he was great, whose presidency was caught up in and maybe doomed by factors larger than himself.
    Trump is NOT an ok president, and none will say he was good, whose presidency is caught up in self-aggrandizing and self-dealing, and who can't even conceive of anything larger than himself. And we can only hope he is doomed by it.

In no way comparable.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What is it about Trump that triggers this Pavlovian response that makes otherwise rational people leap to the conclusion that anyone who doesn’t commence howling the instant they hear the name must be one of his supporters? That any comparison must begin with a Trumpian benchmark?
    Among the crowds I run with, a few years ago you could have substituted Obama for Trump and it would have rung true. Then it was Hillary, but not quite as strongly expressed.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

That benchmark exists because he is by far the most corrupt and incompetent president to live in the White House for at least as long as anyone alive today can remember. Beyond that, the fact that if he succeeds in avoiding impeachment and removal he will have made it perfectly acceptable for a president to use the powers of the office to do pretty much anything they want without having to worry about personal consequences. And that he's just a truly mean and cruel person who brings out the worst in his supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Among the crowds I run with, a few years ago you could have substituted Obama for Trump and it would have rung true. Then it was Hillary, but not quite as strongly expressed.
    You need to find better crowds to run with.

That benchmark exists because he is by far the most corrupt and incompetent president to live in the White House for at least as long as anyone alive today can remember. Beyond that, the fact that if he succeeds in avoiding impeachment and removal he will have made it perfectly acceptable for a president to use the powers of the office to do pretty much anything they want without having to worry about personal consequences. And that he's just a truly mean and cruel person who brings out the worst in his haters.
    I think you may have accidentally used the wrong word so I fixed it for ya.

You need to find better crowds to run with.

See?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information