Page 68 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm hoping you got the reference to Nancy Pelosi... although I also don't hate anyone and I'm actually a lapsed Catholic, that quote was used in a tongue-in-cheek way, and seems a little strange if you didn't hear her response to that reporter.

I got it. I'm a CINO--on the rolls somewhere, but never practiced. I admire her forbearance.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Anybody read the new poll from Fox State run news?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox...achment-steady

even they are reporting 50% are in favor of impeachment and removal. You really should read the rest of the polling results. Despite trying every which way to skew the results and public opinion you can’t deny many people are worn out and disgusted.
    Then there are these guys, who threaten a civil war if he is impeached

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...e-second-civil

not the first time we have heard this.

i also don’t hate him. I do feel he has brought out the worst in some people. When he shouts at his rallies and points to the press and screams “they are the enemy of the people” it should frighten everyone. Because you see, in any election the tables could turn. Dems could get a presidential, house and senate majority. Or not. But With the precedent to no accountability, lying, declaring he is above the law, defying subpoenas, hiding information including private phone calls with foreign leaders, bullying and so on, civility and democracy has gone down the toilet .

He had lots of problems with bankruptcies and lawsuits against him for non payment before the Oval Office. His university defrauded students.
    If he was was willing to cheat on his “charitable” foundation to enrich himself, what makes anyone think he won’t cheat the American people to enrich himself and those who are loyal to him??

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Farmers in Wisconsin are committing suicide at a high rate and food stamps are being cut which will effect the working poor, disabled and seniors. I have stocks like many here and of course am happy when they go up. However, I am concerned about the greater good. If people vote against their own interests again there is nothing I can say.
    Read in today's paper that ~650 farms in WI went out of business last year and so far this year ~715 have gone under. ALARMING!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Define odious.
    Firstly, insulting voters, whether basket of deplorable style, or the more Trumpian style attack on anyone who crosses you at the moment. Hold them in contempt, if you like, but have the wit to keep your mouth shut even if your true believers lap it up.

Second, insulting the voters’ intelligence by uttering ridiculous promises. Building a wall that Mexico will pay for, or sending everybody’s kids to college and sending Jeff Bezos the bill. And don’t compound the error by telling the voters they don’t comprehend their own interests.

Finally, I would say openly lusting for the power to bring low your designated enemies, whether they are rapacious border-crashers or wicked billionaires. It plays well with the zealots, but people of sense pick up a whiff of authoritarianism from that. Not the crazed folks who see Nazis behind every tree, but the ones who prefer an unedited version of the Bill of Rights.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Not the crazed folks who see Nazis behind every tree, but the ones who prefer an unedited version of the Bill of Rights.
    i am one of the crazed ones. I’ve been attending a weekly history group at my community center run by a history professor. On the anniversary of D day we honored a 95 YO WW2 vet who parachuted into Normandy. He also fought in the battle of the bulge, and helped liberate a smaller concentration camp. He was a dynamic speaker. Through the year I’ve learned so much about the lead up to the war, how Hitler gained power, the Hitler youth, the resistance and concentration camps. Ive figured out much of what my dad did during the war. He died when I was young and we struggled to put the pieces in the puzzle. I’ve read books and watched many movies too. Plus DH and I visited the New Orleans WW2 museum, the Bedford memorial, and the group had some great speakers. Knowing how the unthinkable happened does tend to make me suspicious of some of trumps tactics. Steve Miller especially gives me the creeps.

In the new new year we will be doing the colonial American period onwards. Since I had relatives here in the 1620’s I’m anxious to learn more. My sibs and I do a lot of genealogy and are trying to figure out how we got to be a mix of French, British, Portuguese, African American and Native American. We have figured a lot of it out. We have had some interesting DNA matches, to be sure.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Where I live Trump has no support whatsoever and the thought of impeachment makes most smile. This sentiment is only getting stronger. I'm wondering if the Pro Trump side us getting stronger? Funky times we live in. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Where I live Trump has no support whatsoever and the thought of impeachment makes most smile. This sentiment is only getting stronger.
    It's too bad the Democrats rushed this through without hard charges and had to settle for generic abuse of power and obstruction of congress articles which won't stand up in a trial. Those smiles are bound to turn upside down, especially since the entire effort is likely to guarantee a second term. I wonder if the anti-Trump zealots have any idea what they've done?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It's too bad the Democrats rushed this through without hard charges and had to settle for generic abuse of power and obstruction of congress articles which won't stand up in a trial. Those smiles are bound to turn upside down, especially since the entire effort is likely to guarantee a second term. I wonder if the anti-Trump zealots have any idea what they've done?
    It will be interesting to see if your pessimism about the intelligence of the voting public is warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It's too bad the Democrats rushed this through without hard charges and had to settle for generic abuse of power and obstruction of congress articles which won't stand up in a trial....
    It has just seemed bizarre to me how the White House has blocked key witnesses from testifying, and then claims as a defense that the allowed witnesses only have second or third hand accounts. But regardless, the vote will not be evidence based.

The most recent polls I've seen say 50% support impeachment and removal from office and there has been a shift of independents moving towards impeachment. My take so far is that the proceedings won't have any significant effects on the 2020 election. The lines have been already drawn, but those numbers are probably enough to vaguely forecast a Trump defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It will be interesting to see if your pessimism about the intelligence of the voting public is warranted.
    I think that assessment will be better made when we know the options the voters are confronted with.

Thread Information