Page 43 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    What decent bills does ANYONE realistically see Dem candidate x and Republicans working together on? Because I see almost none where it would realistically happen.
    Until everyone in both houses and the oval office, is voted out of office, for failing to do their jobs, focusing on what they said they would do, and not running for the next office, for (my guess) four consecutive election cycles, I expect none, as it is politics as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    that did mention the possibility of instability - economic and violence, should Trump be impeached.
    Rob
    The possibility is there if he isn't as well.

seriously, I worry. I just read the latest article on The Economic Collapse Blog - admittedly a Conservative gloom pirn site - that did mention the possibility of instability - economic and violence, should Trump be impeached.
    The opinion piece in the blog written by Michael Snyder included a prediction that if Trump were removed from office by a Senate vote, then "there would be widespread civil unrest in the streets." Snyder referred to an observation by Mike Murphy that in the Senate there were 30 Republicans who would vote to convict Trump on impeachment, if the vote were a secret ballot. It would not be a secret ballot, though. But 47 Democratic Senators plus 30 Republicans would be more than enough votes to convict Trump.

I may be naďve, but I was under the impression that while Trump's supporters may be emotional at times, they are overwhelmingly "law and order types". So, perhaps Snyder is overestimating the potential for instability/violence.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Until everyone in both houses and the oval office, is voted out of office, for failing to do their jobs, focusing on what they said they would do, and not running for the next office, for (my guess) four consecutive election cycles, I expect none, as it is politics as usual.

The possibility is there if he isn't as well.
    I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Congress has passed over a hundred bills that Mitch McConnell is not allowing to come to a vote, including ones addressing election security.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Oh God, yes. For years I voted for anyone but the "anointed" of either party. Finally, the Democrats are showing actual progressive ideas, and I hope this is a move away from the Fascist and Republican Lite choices we've been stuck with for decades now. As Warren Buffet famously said “There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.” I'm too old to emigrate; I'd like to actually see "government of the people, by the people, and for the people" realized in my lifetime.
    It’s a two-part risk proposition in raising the red banner in 2020. How representative of the general run of Democrats are the candidates brought forth through the primary system? If the answer is “not much”, will that result in another “enthusiasm gap”? And how interested will the general election voters be in “making America work for them” when it dawns that Nordic welfare programs carry Nordic taxes on more just than the disgustingly wealthy? That truck drivers will be commanded to pay the college debts of aspiring filmmakers?

In a year where I would have thought a fence post could beat Trump at the polls, they seem to be making a big bet that massive top-down transformation is what the voters want. If it isn’t, then we could well see another historical embarrassment for the party if Americans refuse to buy into the class struggle narrative.

If it can be verified somehow, I don't know how much more incriminating things can be after the William Taylor's testimony.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    If it can be verified somehow, I don't know how much more incriminating things can be after the William Taylor's testimony.
    It was very damning testimony, wasn't it? How any Trump supporter could still support the Crook of Orange and Bad Hair is beyond me....
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    If it can, it may be time for a draft Romney or draft Haley movement.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s a two-part risk proposition in raising the red banner in 2020. How representative of the general run of Democrats are the candidates brought forth through the primary system? If the answer is “not much”, will that result in another “enthusiasm gap”? And how interested will the general election voters be in “making America work for them” when it dawns that Nordic welfare programs carry Nordic taxes on more just than the disgustingly wealthy? That truck drivers will be commanded to pay the college debts of aspiring filmmakers?

In a year where I would have thought a fence post could beat Trump at the polls, they seem to be making a big bet that massive top-down transformation is what the voters want. If it isn’t, then we could well see another historical embarrassment for the party if Americans refuse to buy into the class struggle narrative.

I so agree. So many people clap with glee at taxes going down, yet want their potholes fixed, good schools and strong police and fire fighter teams. Services from the every level of the government don’t come cheap.

Funny story, my county is raising taxes 25% this year. People are all upset, storming county meetings and so on. We are in the lowest taxed county in our state and the county has not asked for an increase in 14 years. Our taxes will still be low but people are going insane over this. I hope they make small increments every few years from now on instead of this stupidity. It cost money to run things.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    It was very damning testimony, wasn't it? How any Trump supporter could still support the Crook of Orange and Bad Hair is beyond me....
    Rob
    Some people have a lot of hate in their hearts for non whites, LGBQT, Jews, Atheists and so on However the Evangelical support floors me. Even if he is against abortion, or is just pandering to his base, his violation of so many commandments (lie, adultery and so on) surely must be against their teachings.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Some people have a lot of hate in their hearts for non whites, LGBQT, Jews, Atheists and so on However the Evangelical support floors me. Even if he is against abortion, or is just pandering to his base, his violation of so many commandments (lie, adultery and so on) surely must be against their teachings.
    I guess he's a "useful idiot" or "Evangelical asset" for them, too.

Thread Information