Thread: 4 flea markets, 1 book sale, and progress?

4 flea markets, 1 book sale, and progress?

Well, no. Not enough of it. This going from being a hoarder to a non-hoarder is a LOT of work!

I figured by now I'd have a clean porch or attic or other spot at the least I could look upon as progress. Well, yes, there IS a discernible amount less in the bedroom, the attic, the storage unit, true. But I was expecting that with a lot of concentrated effort, I could clear at least one spot. But what has happened instead is that I clear a spot, then start on another and the "keeps" get added to the cleared spot and, then it continues.

STILL WAY TOO MUCH STUFF!

Sigh. I'll keep plugging away at it, what other choice do I have?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Decluttering is always a gigantic psychological and physical chore. Maybe focusing one one room to make your sanctuary first and moving to the next. And so on.
    Your bedroom, the place where you spent up to a third of your life might be a good one. What do you need in your bedroom? A bed, dresser, nightstand, etc. if it is big enough a nice chair. Any boxes, piles and stacks are only going to disrupt your peace. You deserve to be relaxed and happy in your own home.

i look at it as sharing the abundance you have with those who are less fortunate. I keep a selection of clothing but any extras go to my favorite thrift store. It is in a section of the nearest town that is walkable to many lower income people. They have a big free box outside, and most clothes are $2. I get great satisfaction from knowing someone who is struggling to make ends meet might find a nice article of clothing I have donated for that price or free.

Yes, it is a lot of work. I am doing it through, going through the whole house.

I like the idea of doing one space in depth and then keeping it decluttered. Don't let it get sucked back into the declutter process. Keep it a haven so that you can visually see what you are going after.

In fact, I am going to work on this today, decluttering my upstairs room and my office first, so that I have a clean workspace, because that makes me nervous, to have mess there.

1 great trick is....when you have something in hand:

1. If it is trash, walk it to the garbage bin.
    2. If it is donate, take it straight to the car trunk.
    3. If it is keep, decide it's permanent home and leave it there. The item should be located nearest possible to where it will be used or enjoyed.

There are soooo many ways to go about downsizing and organizing. This method really makes you evaluate each item. A keeper especially makes you think. Do you really have room for this item in your life?

Does this take time? Yes. You will get some extra exercise doing this.

I concur with doing your sleeping space first. This needs to be a place to rest, to rescue your soul and restore your energy. It REALLY needs to be clear. Our bedroom has:
    1. Our bed
    2. a single plant and our clock on my nightstand
    3. hubby's nightstand holds his jewelry box and a stuffed gorilla I gave him many years ago
    4. A comfy sitting chair and it's automan
    5. Armoire that holds our clothing and on top of it, our collection of little stuffed animals we've gifted each other and the pair my sister and I gave our parents years ago as a goofy gift.
    6. Art: 1 print over our bed, 2 prints we purchased at Phantom of the Opera in LA back in '92, a dream catcher attached to a chime of red and white hearts and a vanGogh print my sister gave me for christmas a few years ago.

We love the items in our bedroom. We see them daily and they remind us of good memories......

I try to at least put the item in the general area where it will live. Yes, my desk gets piled up, but then when I'm ready to tidy it, I have all the stuff to go through at one time.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information