Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vendor caught carrying concealed - freakout happens

Vendor caught carrying concealed - freakout happens

What a crap show.

So a truck driver who delivered to our warehouse was found out to be carrying a pistol concealed. Dude has his carry permit. Apparently his shirt rode up when he leaned down to open the door on the trailer.

Everyone lost their collective mind. Warehouse worker who saw it called 911 and then called a manager over. Idiot warehouse worker told dispatcher there was a guy with a gun. Everyone ran out of the building. I went to my car where my pistol is (I can keep it there per handbook). Cops get there and the real story comes out - driver had concealed pistol that was seen accidentally. Managers want driver charged with carrying on the property, but cops tell them they’re out of luck since there weren’t any “no guns” signs at all.

So they go out and get some generic “no guns” signs. Call a meeting with everyone and say that if they see anyone with a gun, even holstered, have to call the cops.

The kicker is that the “no guns” signs carry NO force of law in IL. The signs have to show very specific graphics, plus have to show the specific wording from IL, plus the citation of where in IL law it’s mentioned. I talk to my manager and supervisor privately and tell them this. If they intend on prosecuting anyone found carrying on the property, they have no legal leg to stand on with the generic signs. Boss explodes at me. She calls in the warehouse manager who was the one who picked up the signs. She has me tell him about the signs. He explodes at me. Says he has his carry permit and knows all about the IL law. I pull up the specific information about the signs online. He tells me it looks very bad that I know exactly where to find this info.

Warehouse manager is angry enough that he calls HR on me. Mind you, he has no authority over me. HR told him to go pound sand.

The people I work with are just absolutely effing stupid. My manager calls me a busy body for telling them they had the wrong signs. Mind you, I brought it up privately, so not to cause anyone embarrassment for getting the wrong signs, instead of speaking up in the meeting with all employees present. I asked her if she would have preferred I waited until someone else was caught carrying and they couldn’t prosecute due to having the wrong signs. No answer to that.

No good deed goes unpunished.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I'm sorry you got the brunt of their silliness, Tradd.

Yeah, it’s just crazy.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Sounds nuts. You could have saved them lots of hassle if they did call the cops for no good reason.

They had knee jerk reaction to the whole thing beginning with the warehouse guy who told the cops there was a guy with a gun. The truth was a heck of a lot different. They lack common sense.

This could have ended very badly for the poor truck driver if your coworkers had been especially lurid in their 911 call :-(

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    This could have ended very badly for the poor truck driver if your coworkers had been especially lurid in their 911 call :-(
    Yep. Thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Yep. Thought of that.
    I got "swatted" once by some short-term vacation renters next door, who called in a "man with a gun" on me.

I was on my mother's property, with an air rifle. Which I was going to use for agricultural pest control.

Luckily, all the sheriff's deputies here know me.

If I saw someone with a weapon, I would definitely say something. If the person has a permit to carry, fine, but chances are I will see the weapon and not the permit. I would rather err on the side of "see something, say something" than "see something, say nothing, tragedy results".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information