Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you wish you were good at, but you're not and vice versa

Things you wish you were good at, but you're not and vice versa

This doesn't just pertain to hobbies and creativity, but anything at all. Is there any talent that you tried to explore and grow in, but you realized you just weren't good at it? Did you persist for fun, or did you give up?

Conversely, are you really good at something that you don't like doing? Seems a little counterintuitive, but it could happen. You could be a gifted doctor, but you don't like it, so you become a comedian instead. (Inspired by watching The Ellen Show yesterday, and seeing a celebrity--don't know his name--who is a doctor/actor/comedian)

I have a lot of examples of that in my own life, but here's one: I love playing the piano, but I suck at it, and always have. And as for the "vice-versa"--I'm sitting here thinking about how I feel that working in market research kind of goes against my notions of right livelihood, but darn it, I seem to be so good at it!! Not bragging, and I'm so grateful to be able to make a good living from it, but I so admire the horticulturists and the permaculturists, and the musicians, and the teachers, etc etc and all I do is push drugs for a living.

These are my thoughts as I play around with different ways to create an infographic for a treatment algorithm for chronic kidney disease.

How about you? What do you wish you could do? And how do you feel about the talents you have?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am not a good cook. I wish I were, t I dont seem to have the patience and curiosity for it to support a long learning curve.

This is a skill but Women who are operating out of both side of the brain ( to use a popular image) Fascinate me. I admire that. We know a young woman who Renovated her house herself and I do mean she did electricity and plumbing as well as the construction part which included beams. She is also an accountant. She also designs theater backdrops..that is multi-skilled.

I guess I wish I could meditate, but I fall asleep etc.. I've realized it's not for me, after years of thinking I should and feeling bad about it. Right livelihood, well most people aren't going to be able to get a job doing great good anyway at present, I guess if you have things I won't do, and that's about it.
    Trees don't grow on money

I am good at researching, asking the W5. I am good at examining the results and coming up with options to consider.

I am not great with patience in technology - sewing machine, serger, smart phone, computer... I try following the directions and if it doesn't work, I get really upset, blaming myself for not understanding or doing better. My dear DH used to hear the frustration in my voice and quietly examine the situation and it would resolve so beautifully under his attention. Boy, do I miss that support!

Neat thread!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Housework and decorating
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am not a good cook. I wish I were, t I dont seem to have the patience and curiosity for it to support a long learning curve.

This is a skill but Women who are operating out of both side of the brain ( to use a popular image) Fascinate me. I admire that. We know a young woman who Renovated her house herself and I do mean she did electricity and plumbing as well as the construction part which included beams. She is also an accountant. She also designs theater backdrops..that is multi-skilled.
    I was never a good cook. But, having been vegetarian for a while and having to fend for myself, I now like my cooking, but I still don't trust others to agree with me.

I love your comment about women operating out of both sides of the brain--my VT female neighbor, in one weekend, will do target practice with her cross bow in preparation for bagging deer this fall, co-build a rock wall around her home with her husband, and then sit outside and do beautiful etchings on petrified mushrooms to give to the neighbors while her home-grown spaghetti squash is on the grill. She can't spell for the life of her, but I admire her skill set for sure.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I suck at making friends. I'm friendly and talk to people, but have a difficult time making that leap to "let's get coffee" in person. Most of my friends were former co workers, where we had to talk and a common purpose.

I'm good at gardening and cooking (particularly creating a dish without a recipe) but I wouldn't want to do either of those as a full time occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I suck at making friends. I'm friendly and talk to people, but have a difficult time making that leap to "let's get coffee" in person. Most of my friends were former co workers, where we had to talk and a common purpose.

I'm good at gardening and cooking (particularly creating a dish without a recipe) but I wouldn't want to do either of those as a full time occupation.
    Same here with the friends thing - too bad we don't live closer! My sister is very good at it though and we share friends, so that works out very well for me. She gets the short end of the stick on that one, but I do pull my weight in other areas.

Yppej
    Wish I were good at home repairs, car repairs.

Wish I weren't good at stereotypically female tasks, as maybe the Peter Principle would have come into play at work.

I was really good at my job. I kept getting commendations but could have cared less about it. My boss would ask me about the week before and I would have to look it up. I felt I had a duty to do my best but once it was done .... it was out of mind.

I totally suck at directions. DH shudders when he gives me a map. It takes me so long to figure it out. Why, I don't know. Thankfully, I have GPS.

Thread Information