Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to choose a bedroom pillow?

It’s a complicated decision. I’ll need to sleep on it.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s a complicated decision. I’ll need to sleep on it.
    Well I did. I ended up buying the new polyester pillows which are somewhat softer than the old ones but can can be pushed up around my shoulder. I am pleased with the choice and sleeping better.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Before reading this thread I hadn't realized that pillows were such a complicated thing. I've always just used a random feather pillow and been fine with it. My only experience beyond that was when I was in high school and my mom and I decided to try and combine two feather pillows into one so that I would have a more robust pillow. (why I didn't just stack them and call it a day, I don't know. Except that maybe my mom just couldn't comprehend using more than one pillow at a time.)

So as not to make a mess in the house (mom was a major neat freak) we went outside with the pillows, cut them open, and proceeded to try and pour the feathers from one into the other. Try being the key word in that sentence. It was a nice day out but there was a minor breeze and feathers went EVERYWHERE. When all was said and done I ended up with one pillow that had perhaps 25% more feathers in it than it had when we started. The other 75% billowed cheerfully off into the sky (if only iphones had existed back in the 80's and we could have video'd this...) and mom and I laughed about it for hours afterward.

Now how would you like to express you opinions and feelings on pillow cases?

All my life until about a week ago, I slept on cotton (or cotton flannel) pillow cases. For a change I thought I would try a "100% Polyester, Charmeuse Satin" pillow case.

The product packaging copy says, "Wake Up Beautiful!" and "Wake up feeling glamourous".

They might be pleasantly surprised if they knew I am quoting their copy, but it makes quite a claim for the polyester bag. Studies have shown that sleeping on a satin pillowcase can reduce wrinkles and help eliminate hair loss. Now that they mention it, I have been losing some hair, and I just chalked it up to growing older. <wink> ... As you age, the "sleep" wrinkles that develop overnight do not disappear as quickly as they once did and may become permanent. This can leave you looking old and tired. Eliminate those wrinkles before they start by sleeping on "Morning Glamour" <brand name of the product>

Your face glides over the silky satin, keeping lines and wrinkles to a minimum. When your head moves on a cotton pillowcase, friction develops,
    <and they are not talking about the good kind of friction!> that can damage and break hair. Because your head slides smoothly over "Morning Glamour", that damaging friction is eliminated, and hair is healthier.

It is a bit early for results yet, but I try to be open-minded. I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and I am turning on the light, and seeing my reflection in the mirror. Ya know, just maybe I do "Wake Up Beautiful!"

Cute stories!
    Now I have to figure out how to recycle the polyester filling so as not to pollute. I will make two beds for my dog. I may try to contribute some to the local humane society after I wash the pillows and make new padded beds. Have to check and see if they want them first. A winter project!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am a natural latex pillow devotee since childhood. My pillow goes with me anytime I can take it.

This thread, plus my effort to dust and clean my bedroom, let me to buy two new pillows. They were super cheap at target. I am supporting the Chinese industrial complex by buying cheap pillows but they are very soft and I like them. They are polyester.

Speaking of pillows, when I bought our last sofa I asked specifically for polyester throw pillows rather than feather pillows. This is a very middle-class sort of sofa at $800 and I think the purveyors of these sofas believe they are presenting an upscale choice to middle-class buyers of these middle-class sofas.

But I find feathers to be a pain in the ass. They work their way through the cover, They seem to be hard or impossible to wash. I’m not sure that the last batch I wash ever dried out. as it turns out I didn’t make my request clear at the time of order and I ended up with feather pillows that I now hate.That is a minor thing in the world of furniture, overall the sofa has been just fine.

Thread Information