Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to choose a bedroom pillow?

How to choose a bedroom pillow?

I need some new pillows and have not had success in finding something suitable. I think it is because I don't know what to look for. Like Goldilocks, some are too high, some too soft, some too flat. I have them all in my house but nothing seems right.
    How do you choose a bedroom pillow?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

My immediate reaction to your post is that I don’t know that one pillow does it. You need to have a couple of them.

I just got back from out of town trip, stayed in a Drury
    Inn with in a very comfortable bed. It was a big firm mattress. Very soft pillows. I piled up three for being propped up. I slept on one or two of them.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-27-19 at 9:36pm.

I hate big firm pillows. I prefer lying on just one relatively flat soft pillow. But, as IL said, I definitely use more pillows when not sleeping. I have two fat pillows and one decorative pillow to prop me up so I can read before sleeping. Then I throw all but the flattest on the floor and turn out the light.

Other than the flat thing, I'm not too fussy. My DIL was thrilled when she received a really expensive memory foam pillow from a boyfriend's mother, but I try to keep my budget at no more than $10 for a pillow. If I wanted down, I'd pay more, but I don't want down.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We do cheap pillows too and I routinely need to adjust my stash of pillows to fit my needs. Like Catherine, my wife uses a thin, soft pillow while I prefer a deeper, firmer pillow. Most of last year I used two thinner pillows while this year I'm working with one thicker. Cheaper pillows don't hold their shape forever so I'll probably need to readjust by spring.

I looked at some $100+ pillows recently and all I could think of was "what if I buy one and don't like it?"
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I liked down until I discovered pillows made of plastic pellets--similar to the buckwheat concept. I have some particularly fancy down and memory foam pillows that can be reconfigured (bought at deep discount) that are way too much pillow for me. I still use down occasionally.

I bought these for my husband and liked them so much, I bought them for myself:

https://www.amazon.com/puredown-Natu...bedbath&sr=1-5

I prop them up.

If I sleep with a harder pillow, my neck gets spasms, so these are great.

I need a special neck pillow that is memory foam. It has a big roll on one end and your head drops down. It’s the best thing for my neck injury but takes getting used to. If I am sick and have to prop myself up to sleep it throws my neck out.

And your need for a specific pillow type can change. I used a special latex pillow for over 20 years (replaced a couple of times when I lost them overseas and yes, I traveled with them.) Started getting bad headaches at the base of my skull. One night I used a thin foam memory foam type of pillow and have not had the same headache since. So it is either this thin pillow or no pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I need a special neck pillow that is memory foam. It has a big roll on one end and your head drops down. Itís the best thing for my neck injury but takes getting used to. If I am sick and have to prop myself up to sleep it throws my neck out.
    I might have a similar one. It has a large roll on one side and a smaller on the other to support the neck to one degree or another, depending how it is turned, with a slightly concave area to rest the head. When I have shoulder or neck problems it is what I use and it helps a lot. Other wise my favorite is one of those My Magic Pillows memory foam types that gets a lot of infomercials. It was one sale for cheap. I think it's sort of a personal thing and you just have to try a couple different types.

WEll, after receiving all this input, I went and bought some down-like ones that are on sale BOGO. We will see how that works tonight.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Thread Information