Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I love my neighbors.

I know you love plants and gardening; you could put together a big beautiful planter for outside their home next spring. You may or may not like the delay factor. The delay and the swapping of DIY for DIY would have the advantage of seeming less like payment for services rendered than a gift card now. But I can also see how a delay might feel uncomfortable, like too much time elapsing without you showing your appreciation. I think it's hard sometimes for someone with a generous spirit to be on the receiving end, but it sounds like your neighbor has a generous spirit as well.

My hubby is the good neighbor. He loves to shovel and get exercise so he shovels the entire block and up to the house door whenever it snows (12 to 4 times a year). He then turns the corner and does the ramp he put in for a disabled woman. He would be happy with a loaf of homemade bread, a pie, a plate of cookies, etc. He is even happier to have the homeowner just say thanks.

It started when our next door neighbor, who we did not know, was found taking his wife to his car in a wheelchair and having problems with the snow that had built up. He has just carried on. The neighbors on the other side mow our tiny tiny plot of grass when they do theirs and we take turns taking out and bringing back the garbage cans. Kind of like little acts of kindness that do not really require reciprocity.

You are setting the outline of your relationship with your neighbours. I agree that this one time, you reimburse for the cost of wood as you planned and then something special and no gift card. I keep thinking "be what you want to be". Would you want a gift card for something like this? What would you appreciate instead? That way you are sharing with your neighbour what your relationship in future years will be.

I had a neighbour that brought over veggies for 20+ years from his garden that he loved growing. When his beloved dog died, I did a graphite of that dog which he cherished until he passed away this summer. His wife returned the picture to me a few weeks ago as it had no meaning for anyone else in the family.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm not a potter--I think you're thinking of FloatOn.
    We were the glassblowers until closing down our studio a few years ago. Now I give gas cards! Our neighbor has a tractor and has taken care of our driveway, pulling out trees when they've fallen in storms. and burying our dog among other things. I always leave a gas card on his gate.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    We were the glassblowers until closing down our studio a few years ago. Now I give gas cards! Our neighbor has a tractor and has taken care of our driveway, pulling out trees when they've fallen in storms. and burying our dog among other things. I always leave a gas card on his gate.
    That is a great idea!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information