Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The house you will die in

I wouldn’t want to stay there during the winter. I would tell him to do what he wants but I am moving for winter). Pinky toe, I think for you guys that you need to find the town you want to retire to since where you are doesn’t seem to be a good fit.

Our Hermann house would probably be my last house because I will die before DH. Or else I’ll be in a nursing home.

The house itself will be decent for senior living but it will not have wide doorways although we are doing major renovations so I suppose we should put one wide doorway from garage to kitchen. Anyway.

While the house is OK for people of advanced age since two bedrooms and a full bathroom will be on one floor, the giant yard of one acre on a hill is not for the elderly to maintain. Yet, DH needs a big hobby yard because that keeps him active and healthy. By the time we get rid of all of our city property this Hermann place will be the only yard he maintains. It will be his little Farmette and he needs that kind of outdoor focus.

If for some reason he dies before I do I would have to sell the Hermann house because that acre is not something I wish to maintain. I might just move back to Iowa if DH is no longer around because I get along with my brother and my cousin, they’re both living there. It would depend on how invested I am in the Hermann community at that time. Hermann has two transitional places for the elderly – one assisted living, and then a nursing home. I’ve been in both of them. Neither are very snazzy in fact the assisted living one is downscale and ugly, but it’s also probably reasonably priced.

I don't want to die in this house; I don't even want to live in it. And I've felt this way since I moved in. Now I'm stymied by the monumental task of moving with absolutely zero help. I'm determined to get out of here--and move where?--within the next year or two before I'm completely unable to haul myself up the thirteen (my beloved counted when he found them daunting) stairs to my bedroom. The practical thing to do would involve moving back to the Portland area, where I have friends and family. My heart says to stay here, but finding a reasonably priced condo would be a challenge, and as solitary a soul as I am, the idea of having a (limited) social life is appealing.

I doubt we will stay in this house because we are far from family, and that has been a disaster for my parents.
    Not sure if next house will be the last, though, because we don't know the area that well, and what we want is more expensive than we really should be getting, and may be too much for our aging bodies.

Grappling with this right now. Like you, Pinkytoe, I want to settle down and plant my permanent gardens. So tired of moving and leaving my gardens.

Catherine, check this one out for winter:

https://vermont.craigslist.org/sub/d...968157849.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Catherine, check this one out for winter:

https://vermont.craigslist.org/sub/d...968157849.html
    That's a fantastic place, Tybee!

If we were to stay in Burlington, I'd call them right now... but my preference is to stay on the Jersey Shore in an off-season beach rental, so that I can spend "grandma" time with my two grandsons down there. I visited them on a lay-over when I was traveling last month, and my 5-year old grandson asked me two questions, "So, how do you like Vermont?" and "Why don't you ever visit us anymore?" . I am hell-bent on keeping those connections.

So I'm looking at this website for Ocean Grove rentals, which is the most charming town on the Jersey Shore, IMHO.

https://ourtownrentals.com/vacation-...8/listing/3404
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    That's a fantastic place, Tybee!

If we were to stay in Burlington, I'd call them right now... but my preference is to stay on the Jersey Shore in an off-season beach rental, so that I can spend "grandma" time with my two grandsons down there. I visited them on a lay-over when I was traveling last month, and my 5-year old grandson asked me two questions, "So, how do you like Vermont?" and "Why don't you ever visit us anymore?" . I am hell-bent on keeping those connections.

So I'm looking at this website for Ocean Grove rentals, which is the most charming town on the Jersey Shore, IMHO.

https://ourtownrentals.com/vacation-...8/listing/3404

Oh, book it, book it for the winter!!! Especially with what your grandson was saying. That is so wrenching. Honestly, that is the compelling reason I keep trying to move to Maine, because of my granddaughters, especially the older one, who says things like that and it breaks my heart.

I LOVE the Ocean Grove idea, and seriously, I would do that every year at least til I stopped working. You have a half year break with your house being a summer house--it is perfect. 1400 for five months is not much in the scheme of things--a lot cheaper than buying a larger year round house in Vermont, which would not solve the problem of seeing the little guys.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with the fact that I have no kids or grandkids, but I would definitely want to try a winter in the great north country with DH! I would love the idea that I could try it out without making a lifetime commitment. I think it could be so peaceful, just imagine the opportunity to enjoy mindful reflection, yoga, reading, walking in the snow, a glass of wine in front of the fire. Blisssful
    Or the alternate scenario which brings to mind Jack Nicholson with a carving knife!

We are currently looking for our next house. I don’t think it will be our last, but you never know, we are getting older. I use to worry about taking care of the yard, but these days we just hire that out.

I am concerned that the wife keeps keeps looking at larger homes. We have settled on getting a one story, and on the water.

The houses we we are looking at are 10’ above sea level, so if the climate change people are correct, our next house won’t be our last as it will be under water soon. I wish the people selling would adjust their prices to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    We are currently looking for our next house. I don’t think it will be our last, but you never know, we are getting older. I use to worry about taking care of the yard, but these days we just hire that out.

I am concerned that the wife keeps keeps looking at larger homes. We have settled on getting a one story, and on the water.

The houses we we are looking at are 10’ above sea level, so if the climate change people are correct, our next house won’t be our last as it will be under water soon. I wish the people selling would adjust their prices to reflect that.
    I don’t know that you should worry about that underwater thing, Barack Obama didn’t seem to worry about it when he bought 3 houses on the coasts. Kinda makes you wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm sure this has a lot to do with the fact that I have no kids or grandkids, but I would definitely want to try a winter in the great north country with DH! I would love the idea that I could try it out without making a lifetime commitment. I think it could be so peaceful, just imagine the opportunity to enjoy mindful reflection, yoga, reading, walking in the snow, a glass of wine in front of the fire. Blisssful
    Or the alternate scenario which brings to mind Jack Nicholson with a carving knife!
    Wait until you experience bitter cold in an old poorly insulated house and struggling to go to work on snowbound roads, harsh winds rattling the roofing tiles loose or freezing rain making a trip to the frozen bathroom an ordeal. Lack of sufficient heat for cooking and staying warm is a great reason for avoiding all discomfort. Been there, done that and would not wish that on anyone as you have to keep busy to keep warm and stay sane.
    Move to a comfortable spot for the winter unless you are in for a martyr experience . Old timers have earned their wisdom the hard way.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information