Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The house you will die in

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm sure this has a lot to do with the fact that I have no kids or grandkids, but I would definitely want to try a winter in the great north country with DH! I would love the idea that I could try it out without making a lifetime commitment. I think it could be so peaceful, just imagine the opportunity to enjoy mindful reflection, yoga, reading, walking in the snow, a glass of wine in front of the fire. Blisssful
    Or the alternate scenario which brings to mind Jack Nicholson with a carving knife!
    I love winters. Well, I love all 4 seasons. Our homes are both sound and tight. Heating is not a problem. Pellet stove is fabulous at the mountain cabin. And it is so very peaceful in the mountains. We pay for snow removal and that's it and it's reasonable.

If you are feeling compelled to try a snowy winter, go for it! Rent a place for January/February/March.

Rosa, I thought you had 4 seasons where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Oh, book it, book it for the winter!!! Especially with what your grandson was saying. That is so wrenching. Honestly, that is the compelling reason I keep trying to move to Maine, because of my granddaughters, especially the older one, who says things like that and it breaks my heart.

I LOVE the Ocean Grove idea, and seriously, I would do that every year at least til I stopped working. You have a half year break with your house being a summer house--it is perfect. 1400 for five months is not much in the scheme of things--a lot cheaper than buying a larger year round house in Vermont, which would not solve the problem of seeing the little guys.
    catherine we will worry about you if you are stuck in that tiny community in Vermont during December January and February. Plus how would you get out of there to meet clients? Would you just make sure you don’t have to fly anywhere over three or four months.? And don’t services go down in those big snowstorms, like Wi-Fi goes down?

ugh.winter.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Wait until you experience bitter cold in an old poorly insulated house and struggling to go to work on snowbound roads, harsh winds rattling the roofing tiles loose or freezing rain making a trip to the frozen bathroom an ordeal. Lack of sufficient heat for cooking and staying warm is a great reason for avoiding all discomfort. Been there, done that and would not wish that on anyone as you have to keep busy to keep warm and stay sane.
    Move to a comfortable spot for the winter unless you are in for a martyr experience . Old timers have earned their wisdom the hard way.
    Gee, when you put it that way . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rosa, I thought you had 4 seasons where you are?
    Yes we do, TT; although winters are probably tougher on an island in northern VT than coastal MA.

The last time I went to see my mom in Wisconsin was winter and the weather was miserable. First it was 30 below. Then it warmed up enough to snow. Then starts to melt and freezes. Now you have ice that gets covered by the next snowfall. Ugh!

The PNW has four seasons, mostly all mild, for which I'm eternally thankful.

We recently completed rehabbing a house where we hope to run down the clock. All new mechanicals that will hopefully last longer than we do. Wider doorways, handles instead of doorknobs, and a few strategically placed ramps, grab bars and bathroom fixturing in anticipation of creeping decrepitude. If all goes well, we will need an ambulance or hearse before we need a moving van.

We have set the stage as well as we can for the last act, but of course fate has made a fool of me before.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The last time I went to see my mom in Wisconsin was winter and the weather was miserable. First it was 30 below. Then it warmed up enough to snow. Then starts to melt and freezes. Now you have ice that gets covered by the next snowfall. Ugh!
    That’s why I love Wisconsin. The weather has a bit of flavor to it.

Many Wisconsin retirees live here. There is even a packer bar. It’s a beautiful state but having escaped the weather I would never go back.

Thread Information