Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plum cordial

Plum cordial

I had some free sweet red plums. ( I will have to invite the neighbor over for a new year's toast … Sweet New Year!)

Cut plums in half and discard the pits, filling a large-mouth jar with the fruit.
    Fill the spaces in the jar with vodka.
    Screw on the jar lid, shake gently.
    Store in a dark place for at least a week. ( have seen published recipes that said store it for 30-60 days).

The resulting liquor is 40% alcohol, rosy-color, slightly tart, and aromatic from the plums.

To serve, I diluted the liquor 50/50 with a room-temperature mixture of filtered water and agave syrup.

The cordial "climbed the glass" like a fine brandy... visually clear, bright and sparkly. It had the added cachet of being taken from grandpa's dark place in the closet.

YUM!

That sounds delightful, Dado!

I used to make my mother blackberry cordial which she loved over the winter. I never thought about doing it with plums. As a teetaller, I never did enjoy it as a drink but as a cooked sauce drizzled over ice cream. Dado, it sounds delicious.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

What a coincidence! I was going through a bunch of my old "Storey Publishing Bulletins" and found a "Making Liqueurs for Gifts", and was thinking about making a fruit liqueur. Is it recommended to add a bit of sweetener later or along with the initial stuff? What kind of vodka did you use? DD's boyfriend uses Tito's. (I don't know anything about vodka).

Yours sounds great! So you only stored it for 1 week?

Thanks for sharing this Dado!

for many years I made a cranberry raspberry cordial for Thanksgiving- I just used the cheapest store vodka as good stuff would be a waste in this. I added sweetener to mine, and just had it as an after dinner cordial.

Plum brandy is a big deal in Romania and probably in that entire region.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Plum brandy is a big deal in Romania and probably in that entire region.
    That sounds delightful. The few wines I will drink include plum wine.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That sounds delightful. The few wines I will drink include plum wine.
    I bought some plum brandy when we got back from Romania because I had a Romanian dinner for my friends. But it’s rather awful stuff.

However, a high-end restaurant in my neighborhood serves a very nice Romanian Merlot so that was cool and that is how I support the Romanian alcohol industry by ordering that two or three times a year.

Come to think of it, I had some pear brandy that was pretty awful. Probably plum wine would be a better choice--maybe brandy should be left alone.

Thread Information